goat ?

heres lily
30747_lily.jpg

Show your mom this thread. She can also PM me if she want sto confirm what we've said. Two goats are actually easier than one. They will be calmer, quieter and happier. Goats need to play and they will keep one another entertained. A bored goat is a destructive goat. A lonely goat is a loud goat. She needs another doe or a wether to keep her company.

ETA: What an adorable little pygmy.
smile.png

Last edited:
Are you bottle feeding this baby? Was it bottle fed at the breeder's farm? 7 weeks is awfully young to be weaned from Mama. If it wasn't bottle raised then you have 2 problems going on. It is lonely, and it want's it's Mama. One can be solved by getting a second goat about the same age. The other can only be solved with time.

The thing about goats, and many people forget this in their rush to get the cute little babies, is that they aren't dogs. They can't live a solitary life out in a pen beside someone's house.

A solitary goat:

Is Noisy
Escapes
Destroys it's surroundings
Fails to Thrive
Forgets how to be a goat and will not bond with other goats later in life.

Did the breeder teach you how to take care of the goat? How and what to feed it? What not to feed it if it is a wether (Has been castrated)? How to care for it's hooves? What vaccinations it needs and how often? Anything about worming?

If it is eating solid food, hay or forage it needs to have it's first dose of wormer by now. Follow it up in two weeks with a second dose.

By ten weeks it needs it's first dose of CD&T Vaccine....followed 3 weeks later by a second dose.

If your little one is a wether you need to keep the grain to a minimum or you will risk kidney stones. Keep feeding a majority of Hay and Forage. There is speculation about ACV (apple cider vinegar, but not the kind in your kitchen - get it at your feed store) lowering the risk of stones. You can look up here or on Backyardherds about putting it in the water. I don't do it but personally, apple cider vinegar does a lot of great things.

Hoof care, hoof care, hoof care. Start holding your little one and playing with his feet now, while he is lonely. As soon as the hooves start over growing, start trimming. If you don't know how, find someone to show you, or hire someone. You don't want him/her to suffer through hoof rot.

If you can't afford a second goat, and that may be your Mom's problem, Petfinder's has livestock on it and you can find goats galore looking for homes there. I would really consider it because If you ever need to rehome this little one, it will never fit in with a herd if it doesn't learn how to now.

Laney

it wasent bottle fedthe goats realy friendly and yes the breeder told us about everything except hoof care but ive read about it

She will but you will need some earplugs...lol! My little doe went nuts until we got her some friends...as soon as we possibly could!!! Just spend loads of time with her!

Ok I had a goat when I was younger and he was perfectly happy. He lived with my dog and thought he was a dog. He would go for rides to town in the truck and play in the snow with our heeler... best friends. I PERSONALLY belive that depending on your goat's personality it would do fine with a dog. I've heard that they do well with horses too. It's the most common recomendation for a horses companion when a person can't afford another horse.

My opinion completely from my own experances.

Aussie,

The problem with that situation isn't that the goat was unhappy with your dog as a companion...it was that it didn't know it was a goat. Often with goats situations come up where they need to be re-homed. Goats that live solely with dogs, or horses etc don't know how to be a goat. Goats have a herd hierarchy just like chickens have a pecking order or dogs have a pack order etc.

These goats end up in situations often where they don't know how to live in that structure anymore. I have a goat that I took from a family that kept it as a companion to their mini-horse. This goat can't cope with heard life. It has taken her over a year to learn to fight for her food. I've had to hand supplement her in that time.

Her hooves were a mess because they didn't realize that goats needed much more attention and grew much faster than a horses...or to be honest they didn't realize they needed any attention at all. It's taken me a year and the intervention of some friends in the Pygmy goat association to recover her hooves.

She is still very solitary and confused by much of the other goats behavior. She doesn't play like a goat, or interact with the other goats in any way that is positive. She has only her 5 month old daughter for true companionship.

In a situation where you could guarantee that the goat would be kept as a pasture companion to a horse for life, they are good to the horse, and the horses are good to them...but they have a lot of trouble if they ever have to be reintegrated into a goat herd. The same with dogs.

My latest rescue was kept only with chickens for over 7 months of her 1 1/2 years. She is sweet and shy but again very easy to bully. She won't sleep with the other goats, and every morning instead of finding her sleeping with 11 other goats, we find her in the chicken coop. She thinks she's a chicken.

Laney

Back
Top Bottom