Goats and Chickens

I was not SUGGESTING, just putting in my two cents which was clearly taken way out of context. I regret ever posting it and if I could figure out how to delete it from my phone, I would do so. So just everyone ignore my idiotic comment until I can delete my whole dang account tomorrow.

Even the OP said a "pygmy goat or two!"

Thought I finally found a cool forum where everyone was nice and accepting. :(

You are taking offense where none was intended. You just stated that it is possible to keep one goat. You are right. It is possible. Other people including myself just pointed out that while it is possible, in most cases it is not a good idea. I don't understand why you got so upset. Shoot!! I get trounced at least once a week.

I've got to agree with mama2molly - I have known LOTS of single goats who are living happily.

While it is true that goats are "herd animals" some of them DO learn to live alone and are completely content doing so. Other goats are too herd dependent and cannot live alone... I think a lot of time that people do not give a single goat enough time to acclimate to being single. People give in to the crying and wailing and get another goat...

My neighbor had 2 goats for years and years - but the older one died this spring. That left a single goat.... and that goat is COMPLETELY content being alone. She ignores our market goats when we walk by her property - is she were so freaked out and lonely, I would expect her to chase my goats down the road.

I think any goat owner can certainly try to keep a single goat. If it works, that's great, if it doesn't work and the goat is miserable weeks into the "experiment", then get another goat. The owner just needs to be aware that it CAN be a failure to keep a single goat.

The same is true for *any* herd animal - horses, cattle, etc.

thank you i have decided to go for it now just have to find the right goat for our family.
Back to the original topic...

I have two Nigerian Dwarf bucks and they live with my Lavender Orpington pair. Everyone is happy together. The goats' water, hay and mineral supplements (I don't feed my boys grain) are inaccessible to chicken poop. The chicken feed is inaccessible to the goats. The only adverse interaction is that the LO hen likes to peck at the goats' fur, so at about chicken-head height on each side of my bucks is a bald place about the size of a silver dollar. I've examined each of the goats closely to make sure there are no parasites I can see and there don't appear to be any, but my hen sure sees something there she likes!

Good luck with your goatie. Mine have brought a lot of fun to my farm!

thank you all for the helpful advice and replies i have owned goats before and while they are generally happier in a pair or more, i too haved owned a single goat who was quite happy but either way this is supposed to be a site where everyone can share their oppinoins and advice peacefully. I did not intend to start anything negative with this thread. Can anyone tell me how to delete it?

I have right now 8 goats three chickens and a duck all together and they have been togetherness for the last 4monthes and yes the chickens will hope on a back or to and the goats don't seem to mind it its funny watching the chickens going for a ride

Purchased a billy this weekend he is 6 mo old fainting cross (doean't faint though), and untamed so i am glad i purchased him alone bc it will be much easier to tame him if he has to count me as his herd. Mabey in the spring i will look for a girlfriend for him. :)

Purchased a billy this weekend he is 6 mo old fainting cross (doean't faint though), and untamed so i am glad i purchased him alone bc it will be much easier to tame him if he has to count me as his herd. Mabey in the spring i will look for a girlfriend for him.
smile.png

Yea....don't keep an intact buck with a doe for companionship. Bucks have a single purpose: breeding. They will breed does that are too young. They will breed a doe during her first heat after birth (which happens quite quickly), causing back to back pregnancies. As you can imagine, a doe constantly being pregnant with no period of rest will lead to an early demise because it takes a lot of energy to grow kids.

Keep your intact males separate from your females, for the health of the females. Yes, that means having two shelters, two runs, etc. but that is what it means to be a responsible goat keeper. The health of the animals is in your hands.

We have added a young Nigerian and a pup to our 6hens with a roo almost 3months ago. The goat seems to enjoy the company of the chickens and the puppy.The chickens were a little rough on both of them at first.Kinda glad in case of the pup(he cowers to the hens pecking lol) As a whole they all get along well but I do separate them for feeding.Now the pup is 5months and I keep him on a long rope ither in the fence or outside when we run our new chicks.He has hit his goofy stage and begs the chickens and roo to play(you know the silly come get me puppy dance). The goat will head but a chicken over feed and the hens like her minerals so I only open her minerals when I close her in the shed.I'd like to know how others keep the minerals and hay from the chickens?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom