1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goats and grape leaves

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Hi! I don't let Cupid and Archer (my goat boys) out to browse anymore, and have to bring 'browse' to them daily. They have plenty of hay and get sweet-feed in the morning.
    Their favorite 'green' is grape leaves and they are plentiful right now and sparkleberry.
    I remember reading somewhere that there is something in grape leaves that might be bad in quantity --- am I remembering wrong?

Thanks,
    Lisa

2. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I don't know about the grape leaves, but did they eat them when they were browsing on their own? If they did, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would just give them a variety of different things every day.

I do know that blackberry leaves helps their digestive tract, & it is a natural cure for scours.
    Our goats have stripped our berry vines bare. No berries for us this year!!!

Jean

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I know they love gooseberry leaves. My Dh is pretty PO'd about that. Also, maple leaves and pine needles, too. I've never heard anything about grape leaves being bad for them, so I don't know. Anyway, here's a list of edible and poisonous plants pertaining to goats. plants list

4. Thanks! Grape leaves are one of their favorites when they are out wandering and browsing.
    The wild grapes here are threatening to take over the woods, so it's easy for me to collect lots of leaves fast.

Lisa

5. BAYAREABIRDER

BAYAREABIRDER Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Poppy and Petunia would DIE to eat grape leaves. If they had to choose saving me or a grape vine from a fire, they would save those darn vines lol!!

6. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    Well people can eat grape leaves so I wouldn't see why goats couldn't since they can eat a lot of other stuff that we can't or won't like pine needles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by