Goats or Cows?

For goats, I would go with two does for milk, so you can stagger their freshening if you want milk 365 days a year. You have to dry them off at least 2 months before freshening. I would also strongly consider just having them bred or artificially inseminated, Bucks can be a bit smelly and difficult during rut. If my wife would let me and I wanted to raise my own meat I think I would go with pig,but I really like pork.

I looked into the kinder goats...very interesting, I emailed a breeder close to me.

Do you even like goat's milk?

It would depend upon which type of milk you prefer and how tightly you want to fence. Goats are very difficult to keep confined and take really tight fencing.

I was thinking maybe have goats for milk and start an alternative meat source such as quail or rabbits?? They will both supplement your meat needs nicely and require less startup..

Goats are little escape artists....so fencing can be tricky. I use hog/cattle panels and mine seem to stay in but they are kinda spendy.

I am leaning towards going back to cows. My buck died the other day for no known reason and yes this can happen in any type of animals but I am just not sure they are what I need and want :/

I would get a doe that is pregnant or you can get pregnant. Don't get a buck yet. You can find a buck to use. The milk you get you can feed some to the pigs too. Pigs love love milk :)

I have a toggenburg doe and my buck was a saanen. My does were breed before his passing. :)

As far as food I am sure cows eat more but my goats seem to be little pigs themselves. Cows and goats can eat a less quality of hay unlike horses so that might help.

Good luck!

I would also look into Tennessee Fainting goats. We have them and they are amazing. Because of their genetic abnomaly they are muscle bound. This is a positive for two different reasons. 1. They don't climb and don't have the need/desire to get out of a fence and 2.) they are great meat goats. Female fainting goat can also be milked. We originally chose ours because of the docile nature and the fact that they aren't escape driven. We have a regular sheep fence which is 6x6 wire squares staked together with 6' cedar posts. The worst they'll do is rub up against it for a scratch. Even if they do get out - we let them free range...they'll only walk over to the nearest week to gobble it up. They are easy to catch if you need to with a bowl full of their favorite grain.

this is just a idea to go to a goat farm and smell around. i am sorry i have everything else on my farm, but i can take a male goat. but i didnt know it until i got them.

I completely agree. An intact male goat is just too much for me. What a foul smelling animal, and it seeps into your hair, clothes, skin, etc. I'd rather take a skunk than a billy goat.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom