Pics
Goats definitely do seem to have more personality! But I thought they preferred browse/brush and weeds to grass? Which is definitely appealing but we also have a ton of grass so idk. The milk is definitely another good use for them and would make them have more of an actual purpose but I'm not sure if I want to milk a goat. Might get males. Idk. Maybe not.

Goats definitely do seem to have more personality! But I thought they preferred browse/brush and weeds to grass? Which is definitely appealing but we also have a ton of grass so idk. The milk is definitely another good use for them and would make them have more of an actual purpose but I'm not sure if I want to milk a goat. Might get males. Idk. Maybe not.
They do like weeds and bush but will eat grass as well. Goats are practically lawnmowers!!

If you get males then get castrated males. You do not want a male that is able to produce babies (unless of course that’s exactly what you want it to do lol) because boy, male goats can be aggressive. Castrated males are calmer and MUCH more friendlier!

I was looking into getting sheep, but ultimately decided against it. It is difficult to turn a profit with sheep, additionally, they ruin the land as the rip up plants by the roots when the eat them. From what I understand, a sheep herd is not particularly sustainable.

I am considering goats instead. They tend to eat broad leaved plants instead of grasses, so they can graze well in tandem with other livestock. They are not as harsh on the pasture as sheep. There seems to be a bit more profit margin in meat goats as well.

They do like weeds and bush but will eat grass as well. Goats are practically lawnmowers!!

I didn't realize they ate grass too

If you get males then get castrated males. You do not want a male that is able to produce babies (unless of course that’s exactly what you want it to do lol) because boy, male goats can be aggressive. Castrated males are calmer and MUCH more friendlier!

Oh yeah, definitely planning on getting wethers lol

I was looking into getting sheep, but ultimately decided against it. It is difficult to turn a profit with sheep, additionally, they ruin the land as the rip up plants by the roots when the eat them. From what I understand, a sheep herd is not particularly sustainable.

I am considering goats instead. They tend to eat broad leaved plants instead of grasses, so they can graze well in tandem with other livestock. They are not as harsh on the pasture as sheep. There seems to be a bit more profit margin in meat goats as well.

That makes sense! I didn't realize they were so harsh on the environment. Do you think they would rip up our lawn?

And that's a good point! I suppose I should probably get female goats so I could breed them and sell the kids but idk. I'm not sure I really want to deal with the whole breeding and milking thing. Kind of thinking I should just get wethers as pets and brush clearers but then that might be kind of a waste of money taking care of them. Idk. Was originally thinking a pair or quad of dairy goat wethers or Nigerian Dwarfs (so cute and fun personalities) and still might get those but now I'm kind of thinking maybe I should get some Boer goats. They would likely eat way more brush and I could possibly use them as pack goats??? But then they also cost way more to feed.

Goats will graze, But they prefer to eat shrubs and trees and such. They like to stand and lean up against something while eating, that's why I made mine a feeder slightly taller than their head(When on all fours) on purpose. I would honestly go with goats, Goats are more profitable than sheep and are pretty easy to take care of rather than sheep.

Back
Top Bottom