Can clear brush
Can be raised for meat
Can be shown
Produce manure for compost

Cons:
Cost money for feed and hay
Cost money for vet care
Kidding is sometimes difficult
If you milk you have to milk every day (unless you leave kids on) you can't just take a day off because you don't want to
Losing one can be heart breaking
Eat anything that looks like food (including your prize rosebush)
Can annihalate a small trees in seconds
Bucks are stinky
Produce a lot of manure

Ummmm those are just a few to get you started.

Oh, goodness! I have always dreamt of having a few goats. That "cons" list is setting me back a bit!
sigh.... I know what work it takes....just kinda set me aback, not sounding fun. I'm glad I'm not rushing into this. I am glad this thread came up. Thanks! (I will continue dreaming for awhile before I decide).

Hi and thanks for the comment. I'm not giving up the thought of goats, I'll just keep researching and preparing until I make a decision. I have to find out more....I just love the little kiddos. I'm not ready with pens, so I think I will have plenty of time. But, I do appreciate that list of pros and cons.....puts it right out there for us newbies. Thanks, so much!

Oh my!! Escape Artists.....are you all talking about goats! I was wondering if a couple of the Dwarf Nigerians would be hard to keep in pens? Like what kind of pens would keep them in? I take it my 4 ft. regular wire pen (it's a big part of my back yard for my little dogs) isn't gonna work?!!? Can goats run free inside my fenced in chicken area? I have big areas but the fencing isn't heavy, sturdy. Guess I'm gonna have to do more researching.

The difference in escape artistry between goats and lambs is unbelievable. Goats are unstoppable, lambs will be kept in by a one foot fence. So if you are raising them for meat, you know which one to choose. The meat is delicious regardless.

Back
Top Bottom