Goats pros and cons

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickencreek, Mar 4, 2015.

1. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    I was wondering what all the pros and cons are about goats

2. H Diamond

H Diamond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Pros:
    Funny
    Can produce milk
    Kids are great for entertainment
    Can clear brush
    Can be raised for meat
    Can be shown
    Produce manure for compost

Cons:
    Cost money for feed and hay
    Cost money for vet care
    Kidding is sometimes difficult
    If you milk you have to milk every day (unless you leave kids on) you can't just take a day off because you don't want to
    Losing one can be heart breaking
    Eat anything that looks like food (including your prize rosebush)
    Can annihalate a small trees in seconds
    Bucks are stinky
    Produce a lot of manure

Ummmm those are just a few to get you started.

3. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Thanks that helps alot

4. Oh, goodness! I have always dreamt of having a few goats. That "cons" list is setting me back a bit!
    sigh.... I know what work it takes....just kinda set me aback, not sounding fun. I'm glad I'm not rushing into this. I am glad this thread came up. Thanks! (I will continue dreaming for awhile before I decide).

5. H Diamond

Jan 26, 2014
    But they are great friends. :) My biggest stress reliever is sitting out with my goats.

6. Hi and thanks for the comment. I'm not giving up the thought of goats, I'll just keep researching and preparing until I make a decision. I have to find out more....I just love the little kiddos. I'm not ready with pens, so I think I will have plenty of time. But, I do appreciate that list of pros and cons.....puts it right out there for us newbies. Thanks, so much!

7. glib

glib Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2007
    escape artists.

8. H Diamond

Jan 26, 2014

Lol, definitely.

9. Oh my!! Escape Artists.....are you all talking about goats! I was wondering if a couple of the Dwarf Nigerians would be hard to keep in pens? Like what kind of pens would keep them in? I take it my 4 ft. regular wire pen (it's a big part of my back yard for my little dogs) isn't gonna work?!!? Can goats run free inside my fenced in chicken area? I have big areas but the fencing isn't heavy, sturdy. Guess I'm gonna have to do more researching.

10. glib

glib Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2007
    The difference in escape artistry between goats and lambs is unbelievable. Goats are unstoppable, lambs will be kept in by a one foot fence. So if you are raising them for meat, you know which one to choose. The meat is delicious regardless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by