goats with hard tummies

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by agnes_day, Mar 20, 2009.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    my 2 girls have very hard tummies...it looks like their sides are jutting out or something. is this normal? its not their normal fatness. they are fine otherwise, not crying or anything.
    also..one of them has started butting me for some reason..is this also normal? its very unnerving because shes usually very friendly and she doesnt seem mad when she does it.

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Which side of their tummies? Left? That would be the rumen, and it's probably just full. If they start grinding their teeth, acting like they have a belly ache or foaming at the mouth - it might be bloat. Have some Therabloat or oil at the ready, JIC.

As for the doe, she's decided she's the boss of you! Better nip that behavior in the bud before she hurts you.

3. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    how do i do that? i pushed her away and told her no..i pushed her butt too, not her head in case that would encourage her to do that. she got me in the side last night so i put some tennis balls on her for now [​IMG]
    as for the hardness, its both sides! they are so fat now, and they all want to sit in my lap but are a bit too big now i think. its hard to believe they are the same goats, as shy as they were at first because now they are like big hairy and gassy lap dogs [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Wait until they get in your face and then burp the 1812 overture. Nothing in the world like a 155lb farting burping doe. [​IMG]

5. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    I wouldn't push here, that usually makes things worse. Try a squirt gun, and when she starts give her a quick squirt, that should stop things in short order. Or just step off her, which means when she comes at you, step out of her field of contact, sometimes that works as well.

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Quote:[​IMG] Yeah, no doubt! hahaha Heck of a payoff for all your hard work <belch>

7. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    the best is when they sneeze and fart at the same time..[​IMG]

ill try that then..i dont want her to end up goring me to death or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by