Going into coop

ashleigh92

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 15, 2014
Redcar, England
Hi everyone. I have a 4-5 month old hen who just refuses point blank to go in her coop at night. She refuses to go up the ladder so im having to physically pick her up and put her in. Ive tried throughing scraps in, ive left her out until dark and she just perched outside. Ive even tried tying a worn to some string to lead her up Lol she just looks at me like im daft. She rarely goes near the coop during the day as she just roams around freely all day. Any other ideas? :)

What breed?
Keep in mind that chickens are not genetically engineered to be indoor animals and most love to be outdoors - even at night.
How is your ventilation?
You'll just have to keep putting her in till she does it on her own. As creatures of habit, they'll sleep where they slept and didn't die the last several nights.

Last edited:
Shes a silkie cross. She is fine once shes in and i leave the roof open so they can settle down and go back out later to lock up. Its just she seems scared of the ladder as daft as it sounds and its asif she doesnt make the connection that the ladder leads to the coop. Theres plenty of shelter in the garden that she loves its just at dusk when she walks over to the coop and looks to be picked up and put in. Think she might just like the attention :D

Back
Top Bottom