Going into the Mt. to rescue some dumped roosters.

If they've been there a while, they're probably wary of everything. To set up a trap you need to completely disguise it. They won't want to walk into a little cage stepping on the wires underneath. Cover the floor with leaves and put brush all around to hide the trap itself. That may make it feel like walking into a hidey hole to reach the hen.

If all else fails, make a feeding station where they can at least get food over the winter. Put a tray for food in a box covered with plastic and brush in a safe spot. They might get used to the box enough for you to set a trap in it eventually.
Use a closed box with both ends open and they can go in and out that way.

When you're ready, put your trap on one end, securely and disguise the wire floor.
You might try to make a trap door on the open end of the box that is tripped by a string when they go inside. If they get spooked from that end they might run out the other end into the trap.

But not to worry, they will likely weather the winter just fine as long as they can find food. Birds have been figuring that out for centuries.

Hope you'll keep us up on this rescue operation!

I’ve used my recall pen to recapture Bobwhites successfully. I think your original idea could’ve worked with a larger cage and a sectioned-off area in the back for the pullet (where they can clearly see her). I hope you catch them. 😊

I thought maybe a big box, with a hen in a smaller box in the big box. a door on one end that could be closed if they go in. When you arrive the run up, but then kind of hide, then come out again to try and keep you from leaving.

I thought maybe a big box, with a hen in a smaller box in the big box. a door on one end that could be closed if they go in. When you arrive the run up, but then kind of hide, then come out again to try and keep you from leaving.
If they have any way to both see and hear her, your plan could work. You have such a big chicken mama heart to make the attempt. So sad that someone may have dropped them off to fend for themselves ONLY because they didn’t want them. 😡 It sounds like they’re scared but are also tired of being out there alone. Many good wishes being sent your way from Ohio. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom