Going nuts trying to figure out my feed store chicks...

AlilSassy

Songster
May 19, 2016
California
Got these from a feed store and have spent the past two weeks trying to figure it out myself... Here goes...

I think she/he may be a Sebright...the tails is just now coming in(it was in poor shape when I got it, probably pulled out by hatch mates)

This one, closest I've found is Serama, or last night I saw a few D'Anvers pics that resembled her as chicks...

Two of these cuties...obviously a crested breed, but the coloring doesn't match any I could find when searching crested varieties...(one is a cream and the other is more a burnt orange/yellow)

Then my Barred... Not sure exactly which kind they are... Dark over yellowish feather free legs, grayish base down, and fluffy lookin tails so far(rather that sharp or stiff looking).
(The first picture at the top shows most recent snapshot of one of them, the smaller one of the two)

Your Barred ones look like Barred Rocks, the first one looks like a Sebright, the crested ones look like they maybe Polish mixes. I'm not sure on the second one though.
hmm.png

Thanks for feedback so far. I love the coloring of my crested and hope they keep it. Most of those pictures are snap shots off a video I took yesterday while I let them stretch and scratch outside for a bit... I just put it on YouTube so I could show it here...might be more helpful on figuring breeds, if they are too mixed anyways lol.

I did eyeball the Old English for my #2 Female, but they all seemed lighter and more thoroughly patterned. Either way, all of those different a once she resembles arent exactly known for their eggs, right? Same with Sebright. Guess I got her, and the other black n brown for "character" lol, as you can see in the video, they are lookin to be full of it...(the barred are super sweet, friendly)... I'm hoping if any turn out to be Roosters that they'll be quiet ones so I don't get in trouble or have to eat them. My daughter would be crushed.

The crested ones look like Pyncheon. And the only hatchery that has those (Privett), also has a variety of Old English game bantams, sebrights, and bantam Barred Rocks.
ETA: Stromberg also has them, but they don't have any bantam Barred Rocks. And your barred chicks are definitely Rocks.

Last edited:
There's a thought... Ask the store which hatchery these come from and go from there. If I have 2 Pyncheon, that would be cool. According to everything online they are pretty rare...and broody :/ I will be updating the pics on this in a couple weeks or so incase anyone else searching BYC for breed keywords has any that start out like mine have. That's where I found most of the similarities to mine to get ANY ideas... Only see day old and adult shots on breed sites mostly.

Thanks btw :yiipchick

Ok, so here's an update on the two crested since the rest pretty much look the same just getting bigger.
This one is the one who was barely visible sitting in the back, pretty sure this is really a "she", poor thing has issues breathing out her nostrils, which are a lot more prominent on the more colorful one pictured next... Oh ya, also their legs are beginning to get a bluish color to them like the Sebright chick...

Now this one I'm beginning to think might turn out to be male... One, it's getting a lot more color, and Two, the tail feathers are coming in pointed. I do not see obvious saddle feathers or other pointy feathers yet, besides the nice head feathers. No visible comb on either chick to help with any identification either, so far only see where wattles might show up eventually...

Both are sweet hearts, good flyers already, and have no issues being fed by hand. They do notice the other missing though, even if they are with the rest of the chicks. Can't wait to see how this colorful one will turn out. He is not uniform either, has different colored patches on each side... I'm getting the chicken fever
yippiechickie.gif

Built my mail order coop yesterday, but didn't see how I might review it on here, not the right access I guess. It's in my pics if anyone wants to see it and happens to see this.

Last edited:
Update again... I have reason to believe my feed store where I received the chicks from gets theirs from Ideal. Turns out that Ideal is working on Red Crested Red Polish... When searching for that...I found my polish :) so here's some updates:

All the pretty colors :)

The tiny "best buddy" Sebright :)

My other small hen that I'm not 100% convinced what she is yet...

My BRs... I still can't be sure if one or both might just be boys :idunno

My pretty Red Crested Red Polish. I really need to get a better/newer pick of him. He has red lacing going on, it's pretty cool

The fairer Red Crested Red(pretty sure hen)

Back
Top Bottom