Going on 3 weeks new member

Mamashenhouse

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2023
Hey guys I have three baby chicks going on three weeks. I honestly didn’t thing i would have hatched eggs that I got from a farmers market but here we are.

I hatched three
They looks healthy but one is pooping watery poops! I can never guess which one because they love playing and being by one another all the time! Lol

I also don’t know if I can take them outside in California in LA we get good weather but I haven’t accumulated them to be out for long

Also how big of a space do they need as they get bigger?

I have three hens all different species one being a naked turkey chicken. Any advice would be appreciated.

@Eggcessive is very helpful when it comes to chick health problems.

At three weeks, I wouldn't be rushing them to the outdoors just yet. When they get closer to nine weeks (full feathering), then they should be fine outside. With chicks, you should lower their brooder's temperature by 5° until you reach the outside temp's temperatures. Once they're acclimated, then outside should be fine (as long they're in a coop, not free-ranging).

For space, one average sized, adult chicken should have 3-4 sq.ft.

At 3 weeks, their heat should be at 80 degrees, then next week 75, and so on. Usually by 6 weeks mine were all feathered, and at that time, I turned off the heat which should be 60-65 degrees. Whatever your temps are outside, if they can tolerate that, they can have short periods outside on grass supervised by you, and with a covered, shaded predator proof cage. When they get out on grass, they need some chick grit to help digest anything they eat.

If they are kept inside in a brooder, I usually bring mine a fresh clump of sod and grass to sample. They love to peck it, and that gradually exposes them to dirt and coccidiosis, which they start building a tolerance to. But they need grit.

Chicks should never be left outside unattended or uncovered where a hawk, cat, or any predator can get to them. They will overheat in direct sun, so shade is good. But they will love the outdoors. I like them to be almost grown before I let them free range without my supervision. Predators are everywhere, from the neighbors’ dog or cat, raccoon, hawk, etc. The little ones are easily picked off, so just bring them out for short supervised visits.

@Eggcessive is very helpful when it comes to chick health problems.

At three weeks, I wouldn't be rushing them to the outdoors just yet. When they get closer to nine weeks (full feathering), then they should be fine outside. With chicks, you should lower their brooder's temperature by 5° until you reach the outside temp's temperatures. Once they're acclimated, then outside should be fine (as long they're in a coop, not free-ranging).

For space, one average sized, adult chicken should have 3-4 sq.ft.
Thank you so much I appreciate the advice. I get stuck on the temperature because we live in LA area it’s hard to keep the temperature right. one day would be hot another day it’s cold! So I been keeping a close eye on their behavior.

I actually moved the heater up since they are getting a bit bigger and lowered the temperature during the day. It got to 86 in my home so didn’t want them to overheat.

Welcome, mamashenhouse, glad you've joined this helpful and friendly poultry-loving community!

We lived in the LA area for decades before retiring to the north, still have family in Burbank, so definitely understand about the wild temperature swings especially fall/winter. Sometimes hot or chilly/wet Halloweens, warm Christmas (or not!), heat waves and cold wet spells randomly...a lot for little chicklets to handle outdoors.

Definitely go with Lacy & Eggcessive's advice, they know whereof they "cluck"! 😉 😊

Thank you so much yes this week along it was 95 on Wednesday I think and today Sunday it’s raining but humid 😅 I recently lost my chick thermostat so I’ll be getting a new one and just lower a lil their temperature. Their feathers are coming in quite nicely. Still have issues with one of them pooping watery…

But over all their growing and playful they’re all different sizes and growing too tall for their border heater. Thank you all for the helpful suggestions and advice happy to find an active community 🫶🏽

At 3 weeks, their heat should be at 80 degrees, then next week 75, and so on. Usually by 6 weeks mine were all feathered, and at that time, I turned off the heat which should be 60-65 degrees. Whatever your temps are outside, if they can tolerate that, they can have short periods outside on grass supervised by you, and with a covered, shaded predator proof cage. When they get out on grass, they need some chick grit to help digest anything they eat.

If they are kept inside in a brooder, I usually bring mine a fresh clump of sod and grass to sample. They love to peck it, and that gradually exposes them to dirt and coccidiosis, which they start building a tolerance to. But they need grit.

Chicks should never be left outside unattended or uncovered where a hawk, cat, or any predator can get to them. They will overheat in direct sun, so shade is good. But they will love the outdoors. I like them to be almost grown before I let them free range without my supervision. Predators are everywhere, from the neighbors’ dog or cat, raccoon, hawk, etc. The little ones are easily picked off, so just bring them out for short supervised visits.
I got the grit and slowly getting them small treats for them to try like grapes they hate those but they’re ok with a lettuce leaf lol still poop watery but they all seem healthy. Nothing alarming from their poops when I have them wonder I inspected their droppings scared to see blood or worms. I read quick a bit too much. lol

Back
Top Bottom