Going on 4th day

vckums

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
California
My EE is not laying any eggs going on 4 days now. She hasn't molted and is about a year old. I'm in California, it's not been real hot but in the 80's. They have water, grit/oyster shells, food and laying pellets available. Plus they free range. Any ideas or suggestions?

Since they free range, I'd start by looking for a hidden nest. Mine are laying all over the place, it's an Easter Egg Hunt every day.
roll.png

It's a small yard. We've been looking in the yard every day. Under bushes, in flower pots. We can't find any eggs. So if that's not it, is there anything that could be physically stopping her from laying?

Again no egg today. I'm getting really worried. She is eating and drinking. I've seen her out in the yard scratching around. I did see her in the nest box and got my hopes up but no egg when I checked later.

Any other ideas?!?

We live in a suburb, there's no snakes here. Whew! Not sure I could handle snakes. My yard is really small. I'll snap some pics to show how small. She wouldn't be able to hide a nest and us not find it.

I watched her this morning since I let her out. She's eaten a lot, dust bathed and has been drinking. I talked to her as I was giving them some treats(dried crickets) and hubby must think I've lost it now. lol

It's still a bit early for an egg, mine seemed to lay in the late afternoon, so all I can do now is keep watching and fingers crossed.

Maybe she is feeling out of sorts and just needs a little break. You can also keep her in the coop for a day or 2 to see if she is laying or not.

I saw her go in the nesting box about 2pm. So I sat by the kitchen window and watched. She just came out about 10 minutes ago and I went to check the nesting box.

SHE LAID AN EGG!!!!!!!!!!

I am so relieved. I was hoping nothing was wrong with her. She's my fav of the 2 chooks. Very sweet and laidback.

I thanked her for her egg and told her I'd go get them a treat. They got to munch on some more crickets.

Thank you all for your replies!!!

Back
Top Bottom