Going on vacation have a question.

applecheeksaz

Chirping
11 Years
Feb 17, 2010
Hi,
Everyone I'm going to be gone for a few days my chicks are almost six weeks and i have a question.
Our chicken coop is really secure I'm wondering is it ok to leave their door open at night so they can go in and out while i'm gone. They still have a heat lamp on the inside and the nights are about 40 to 50 for the low. They already go in and out by themselves. Right now I close the door at night. Any help is appreciated thx Michelle.

I don't believe that I would risk it; the chicks are still so young and not accustomed to having to "fend for themselves"; is there anyway that you could construct some sort of enclosed fencing attached to their coop to ensure their safety when they want to get out for their exercise and fresh air? Or perhaps I am not understanding you correctly and you already have a run attached to their coop?
hu.gif
Will the heat lamp be safe and not apt to catch things on fire while you are away? I know that it sounds like I am getting carried away here, but I myself am putting off a summer vacation because I will be brooding chicks the first of April and I don't want to leave them for any extended period of time until perhaps this fall. We may take a trip to the mountains then, but only if I feel I can safely leave them for a few days and have a neighbor "check in" thru the week.
tongue.png

You can of course, as long as you're fully aware of the risks. Odds are that they'd be okay for a few days. But you know you'd feel horribly guilty if something DID manage to get in overnight... I'd try to find someone who wouldn't mind stopping by in the morning and evening to do a quick check and lock-up/release; I'd want them checked on daily anyway...just for a head count and to make sure all is well with the water and food. I know many feeders and waterers last for a while, but you never know...

Yes, the outside is all fenced off so they would be going into a fenced area with a top on it. I work long hours so I wanted them to be safe while I'm not home. There will be someone checking in on them but i did not want to have her come every morning and night to let them out and tuck them in. I was just worried they might get to cold oh and the light is safe no way to start a fire. And i am having her change the water while I'm gone once and make sure they have enough food.

I think they would be OK locked up in the coop for just a few days without pen access. Better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom