Going on Vacation - What to do With Chickens?

Just got home from vacation about an hour ago to find all five hens happy, healthy, and most importantly - alive! Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions. I ended up finding a bunch more buckets to fill with water and leaving the girls way more food than they needed. My garage is now a minefield of chicken turds - but I can deal with that later. :)

Glad all is well.

For future use, yo might want to make a system like this.

20170820_153257.jpg 20170820_153314.jpg 20170820_153344.jpg 20170820_153414.jpg

By using an inverted 55 gallon drum, you can make an almost totally enclosed watering system. Let me know if you are interested and I will link you to more images and will make a set of instructions.

Any links would be amazing. Thank you so much.
I am leaving you this link here, it has more images to look over. I will bring the Drum in and take some more specific picture to show the parts, but it will be a a couple of days before I can get to it. I will though. It hasn't been in use for a while. I need to clean up around the area and get it all ready for a new flock. So it needs to be done anyway.

Your RIRs are beautiful, by the way.
TY. They were. The worst kinda predator, the two legged ones got to them.

I am leaving you this link here, it has more images to look over. I will bring the Drum in and take some more specific picture to show the parts, but it will be a a couple of days before I can get to it. I will though. It hasn't been in use for a while. I need to clean up around the area and get it all ready for a new flock. So it needs to be done anyway.

Many thanks for the links, although I don't have access to them (you might have to check the share settings).

TY. They were. The worst kinda predator, the two legged ones got to them.

Oh, no. So sorry to hear that.

Not quite sure what got to my past flock, but most likely a fox, judging from the piles of feathers in the yard. But it was a hawk who killed one of the hens in my current flock a couple of months ago. Courtney died in her sleep, but just after the hawk attacked.

How many did you have? Were they all RIRs?

Many thanks for the links, although I don't have access to them (you might have to check the share settings).
My apologies. I was very tired when I sent the reply. Yes I keep them locked. Go to the link and click to get access. Google will send me a notice of the request and then I can give you Viewing and Comment privileges.
How many did you have? Were they all RIRs?
Those in the picture were all RIRs and they were 5 hens and one roo, Micheal. Loved that roo. He was a great buddy and protector of the hens. I need to write an article of what happened. So sad.

Anyway I will be getting a new flock soon and I have to clean up the area. When I do I will bring in the drum and take it apart to show how it is put together. I and a huge fan of being able to take things apart for maintenance and cleaning.

I am still working on this for you. However I will post this about the vent (Just more pictures now, more in depth instructions and guide later). It is the most "difficult" part of the build process. Only because it requires some "special" tools.

I like doing it this way. If you do more than one and/or often, then this is the cheaper way to go.
OR

I have not used the Bulkheads for this, but if you don't want to risk miss tapping the Riser pipe you may want to use them.

A sure guaranteed fit but will have to use a 3/4”Heavy Duty Brass Shut Off Ball Valve or just a hose. Not a big deal.
or

Will fit, but be careful when threading in. Will make it so you can use 1/2" pipe or fittings for discharge. Or $6.37 Hose Bibb, 0.5-Inch, Brass.

The reason you want to make sure that you can attach a hose or some sort of piping is this. When filling, if you accidently or by nature of the setup, it starts to overflow, the hose or piping will carry the water away from the run. You don't want a huge mud pond.

OR

You can use irrigation $3.75 1/4" Barb Drip Irrigation Drip Elbow, 20-Pack taps and tubing, and punch a hole on top with 2-in-1 Drip Irrigation Tubing Hole Punch & Fitting Insertion Tool Kit for Easier 3/5" and 1/4" Inch Or with a drill bit. Run some tubing down the side.

You can fill you drum but it will take time since the air has to vent a lot slower and if an overflow situation happens then it will not be good enough.

You can always just punch a hole on top but that will defeat the purpose of being an almost enclosed system.

Sorry for throwing all this at you and I hope it didn't make you dizzy. Once I have the drawings and pictures completed you will go "OOOHHHH I get it now. Why didn't you just...."

Last edited:
Those in the picture were all RIRs and they were 5 hens and one roo, Micheal. Loved that roo. He was a great buddy and protector of the hens. I need to write an article of what happened. So sad.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune...I have a RIR roo that is turning out to be quite a good protector and provider. I thought he may become a butthole but I have my fingers crossed that he won't. So far he has only hit me once but in his defense I had one of the pullets under my arm and she was screaming like I was strangling her so he was just doing his job. Lately he has been finding goodies for them and he picks it up and let's the pullets get it from his beak...pretty cool I thought. Anyway I'm starting to warm up to the RIR breed as they get older they are getting more mellow and friendly it appears.

I enjoy your contributions to the forum!! Keep up the great work!!

Lately he has been finding goodies for them and he picks it up and let's the pullets get it from his beak...pretty cool
Michael used to do the same thing. Tho he would also find some morsel, snag it, maim it, then start squawking/alerting the ladies, that het is something good here. Come to think of it the only time I ever seen him eat treats is when he was just a little tike. After he was grown , it was all about the ladies.

There was this other thing he used to do. Everytime he would see me he would start squawking different. Seem like hey watch out girls someone is coming, then as I got closer it would change oh it's him. then it change to yall stand back and let him in. Since no matter what I would bring treats. And it was his way of saying "don't bum rush the man". he would do the little puffing up and strutting as if to challenge me as if to be making sure I was still head turkey and he was ready to take over if need be. LOL. Then he would start calling them. I'd throw out the treats and it was a free for all. Except my buddy. he would get on my right side, face the same way I am and he would look at me as if to say " That was mighty kind of you sir." Then he would stand there with me watching them eat. You would hear him making the low rumbly sounds they make. I could swear that it was him making small talk with me. like "Look at em, fight for that bread" "Or nice weather hum bob?" "ya think it's gonna rain.". We be there standing making small talk. Yes I was out loud replying back. Then they would ba all finish and he'd walk off with them or a fight would break out and he'd run up and get in between. Then he would mount... Ok we don't have to go over that part.

My ex thought it was so funny that day after day this was the routine. Thought it was funny enough that she secretly recorded me and him for like 2 weeks. She showed it to ma and remarked that it was like that scene in Forrest Gump at the end where him and his son were fichin sitting on that log with both our heads tilted. I was a tad bit embaressed on the inside but she will never know . LOL. I miss MY BUDDY.

Michael used to do the same thing. Tho he would also find some morsel, snag it, maim it, then start squawking/alerting the ladies, that het is something good here. Come to think of it the only time I ever seen him eat treats is when he was just a little tike. After he was grown , it was all about the ladies.

There was this other thing he used to do. Everytime he would see me he would start squawking different. Seem like hey watch out girls someone is coming, then as I got closer it would change oh it's him. then it change to yall stand back and let him in. Since no matter what I would bring treats. And it was his way of saying "don't bum rush the man". he would do the little puffing up and strutting as if to challenge me as if to be making sure I was still head turkey and he was ready to take over if need be. LOL. Then he would start calling them. I'd throw out the treats and it was a free for all. Except my buddy. he would get on my right side, face the same way I am and he would look at me as if to say " That was mighty kind of you sir." Then he would stand there with me watching them eat. You would hear him making the low rumbly sounds they make. I could swear that it was him making small talk with me. like "Look at em, fight for that bread" "Or nice weather hum bob?" "ya think it's gonna rain.". We be there standing making small talk. Yes I was out loud replying back. Then they would ba all finish and he'd walk off with them or a fight would break out and he'd run up and get in between. Then he would mount... Ok we don't have to go over that part.

My ex thought it was so funny that day after day this was the routine. Thought it was funny enough that she secretly recorded me and him for like 2 weeks. She showed it to ma and remarked that it was like that scene in Forrest Gump at the end where him and his son were fichin sitting on that log with both our heads tilted. I was a tad bit embaressed on the inside but she will never know . LOL. I miss MY BUDDY.
Ted and I went through a rough patch for about 2 weeks but now it seems he has figured out that I am the good guy who brings them stuff and cleans up their mess...LOL I took some blueberries out the other day when it was so hot and he was off by himself so I figured I would treat him first so maybe he could get one before the rest piled on....nope, he picked them up one by one and called the girls over to get them.

He really is becoming quite a good boy after our growing pains...I almost rehomed him but my wife said to give him a little while so I did and it seems to have paid off for now. Now that my pullets have started laying I have to keep them penned up until late afternoon to keep from having to hunt eggs....I hate it because they are entertaining to watch out in the yard doing their thing all day. Now, I just watch them for a couple hours in the evenings but they sure make some noise trying to get me to let them out all day....I have to be honest, when I decided to get some chickens my mind was saying they were just gonna be "livestock" but now I consider them a part of the family. I guess everyone gets like that and that's why we have them.

Back
Top Bottom