Going on vacation..what to do?!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by motherhenfran, Aug 17, 2014.

1. motherhenfran

motherhenfran In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    I'm leaving for 7days and have someone coming in the morning and evening every day to check on my chickens while I am gone. They will be given fresh treats and played with when my chicken care take comes to check in but this is my first time leaving them and I am nervous. Has anyone had experience with their chicks getting too stressed or becoming depressed while you're gone for a week at a time? Also I must note--I probably will be rehoming the rooster thanks to a nagging neighbor and this will occur before I leave (hopefully 4-7 days before so they have time to accept and acclimate) and I'm worried that will stress them out too. I don't want the stress of a friend being removed and then mom (me) leaving for a week to overwhelm them. Is that a possiblilty? Please let me know if you've experienced this...I love all my feather babies dearly and would feel a little better to hear someone else went through this and their birds were fine :)

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Relax and breathe - they will be fine.

3. motherhenfran

motherhenfran In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    First time away from them...hence all the worrying. I'm sure they'll be fine :) never hurts to hear reassurance from others who went through the same thing :)

4. welasharon

welasharon Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Cihckens don't really notice stuff like we would. I have left mine for a week at a time often. As long as they are being check on they will be just fine.

5. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Mine never notice when I am gone for a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: