Going out of town-how to keep water from freezing?

Dahlea

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 12, 2010
We are going out of town for the weekend of thanksgiving. I'm trying to round up someone to watch our animals but running into a problem. How do I keep the hens' water from freezing? I was just planning to bring it in at night when we are here, but I'm not sure what other options are out there. Thanks!

You can get a heater base from a farm supply store. Then you'd have it all winter and wont have to bring your water in every night.
big_smile.png

I use the heated dog bowls, I get them at the local ranch store and they work great. We have winters here in Utah that get really cold and the bowls still keep the water from freezing. The cords are wrapped in wire so nothing can chew thru them. I have 3 and no problem with straw or pine bedding catching fire. Just make sure the extention cord(s) used are rated for outdoor use and you can leave knowing the water will not freeze. The cost is about 15.00 and they are well worth it.
Good Luck and Safe Travels.
big_smile.png

I think some of the heater bases actually say they should be set on something instead of directly on the bedding. Just read the directions. Heated dog bowls or heated buckets are cheaper than heater bases for poultry waterers. They also keep things unfrozen in colder temps than the bases for plastic waterers since plastic can't be heated as high. However they don't hold as much water. You can only get buckets up to 4gallons and probably not over a gallon or so for dog bowls.

Buckets of water should have a brick or similar in them to prevent drowning and never use a standard 5gallon bucket. Only flat back ones.

Last edited:
This is a galvanized heated base with a thermo cube. It turns on automatically at a certain temperature.

63050_dscf4823.jpg

Hi all I am new to the chicken fun too!! I used a 5 gal bucket, put 5 nipples (avian Aqua Miser) on the bottom. I put a tile in the bottom of the bucket and purchased a submersable heater ( 500 watt i think) from IFA. I placed it on the tile and plugged it in, All is well. I had a hard time sticking something in a bucket of water and plugging it into the socket!! I live in a cold part of Utah so this winter will test my waterer!

If you use a galvanize heater like shown above you should put it up on bricks or pavers to keep it out of the litter. Also, something I learned the hard way, make sure whatever you put under it completely covers the base so mice cannot get in--they build a nest and chew the wires.

Back
Top Bottom