Going out of town, with or without eggs?

Turkeys can get splayed leg pretty easily. I would put some grippy mat under the eggs at lockdown.
If they hatch and are walking around the slippery floor incubator for days you could have some leg problems.
My guess is that if your incubator temps are right, poults could hatch Thursday 7th and Friday 8th.
Perfect I will do that as well. My daughter's father was suppose to take her and now it comes about I have to take her to this tournament so :/ bad timing :(

That's horrible luck in the timing. Since you put them in on Friday March 11 the 28 days are up on Friday April 8. I'll ty to give you accurate information that might help your planning. I don't think you are in a horrible position but the potential is there.

First, they can last over 72 hours after hatch without eating or drinking since they absorb the yolk. The US postal regulations depend on this. The chicks or poults need to be shipped within 24 hours of hatch. There has to be a reasonable expectation that they will be delivered within 48 hours of shipping. That's a total of 72 hours. That's a minimum if they start out healthy, many people receive a shipment late and they are still OK or most if them are OK. If they are not healthy to start with of course this doesn't apply, but if they aren't healthy you have issues anyway. Use hours when you are counting, it's easy to get confused if you stick with days. If the poults hatch in Friday April 8, the 72 hours are up on Monday the 11th. In that regard you are OK.

But the problem is that the 28 days of incubation for turkeys is just a target. For many different reasons they can hatch as much as 2 days early or late. You can't count on an exact timing of the hatch. Some eggs may hatch a couple of days later than others.

The way I'd approach it is to check the incubator before you leave. If poults have hatched kind of early move them to the brooder. Consider the 72 hours and when you plan to be back. Yes, that mean opening the incubator during lockdown. While it is "Possible" you can cause harm by opening it, that is pretty rare in real life. Most of the time you can open it without issues but it's the few times it does cause a problem that it hits you. I avoid opening the incubator since I know it can cause a problem, but if I have an emergency that I consider worth it I open it and take that chance. So count the 72 hours and make your plans from that.

If you hade ideal conditions I would not suggest this but my world is not always ideal, sometimes I have conditions I deal with. All we can do is the best we can.
Thank you for all this information. I have everything ready to go for then they come out of the incubator.. if they start to come early than I will try my best to stay at home long as possible before having to hit the road. I will have a baby camera on them the whole time just in case

Thank you for all this information. I have everything ready to go for then they come out of the incubator.. if they start to come early than I will try my best to stay at home long as possible before having to hit the road. I will have a baby camera on them the whole time just in case
If they hatch before you leave I'd put them in the brooder.
Bad thing is, is that turkey poults sometimes need to have someone show them where the food and water is repeatedly until they figure it out.
That's why sometimes people put a couple 2 week old chicken chicks with them until they figure it out. Sometimes they imprint on the chicks though, and scream bloody murder when you take them out. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom