Going out to feed/maintain/..slip on shoe recommendations?

I got a 5 dollar pair of croc knock offs at walmart for when I am not wearing socks and medium height muck boots (bog brand) for when I am wearing socks. Both have been going strong about 18 months.
I got a pair of ‘crocs’ from Aldi that have furry inserts that clip on at the sides. Insides can be tossed in the washing machine and the shoes get a scrub when really grubby. They live inside the laundry door and are perfect as chook/garden slip ons. We’re very cheap and I’d recommend a pair. Keep an eye on Aldi

I have a Keen slip on shoe currently. Before, I had these:
Screenshot_20210819-192130.png

But the thing is. The first time I wore those in my hen yard, they were scared crazy. They usually would come right over to me and hang out, but with those, they wouldn't come near. They ran away clucking. With my Keens, they attack my feet and the shoes. It can get kinda painful at times...

I just slip my winter boots on most of the time (look, I really like my boots, and they never leave the front hall all year round, ever), but if I don't feel like doing that, then I'll just slip on some crocs (someone else's pair, most likely; there are two that I alternate between, and I'm just not sure which belongs to who by this point, aside from the fact that the larger pair goes to the menfolk [until I steal said pair]).

I use shoes similar to these gardening shoes. They are easy to slip on, peck-proof, and a strong waterproof material.
They don't scare the chickens either since they are quite plain.
images.jpeg

Mine are purple and fluffy inside, but are close enough to these. Bored chickens love to peck the buckle.

I had Muck shoes. They slipped on pretty easy and we’re durable. They were not high enough to keep water and snow out though. I don’t like wearing knee high boots, especially in the summer months. So I got a pair of Mucks that are just above ankle height. They slip on and off easier than my shoes did. They are high enough to keep snow out. Unless it is above 8 inches. I can even go in my cattle lot after a good rain. Which is way more muddy than the chicken yard. Without my feet getting wet.

Crocs in the summer, rubber rain boots the rest of the year. Both can be hosed off easily. I can't wear boots in the summer because it gets hot and humid as hell over here and by the time I get to the chickens, my feet are swimming in sweat. Crocs work great. I don't like open shoes like flip flops, because the chickens peck my toenails and I get debris from the run caught between my foot and the bed of the shoe. In the winter, I have an extra pair of wool socks that sit by the boots at the back door, and I put those on top of my regular socks before putting the boots on, otherwise it feels like my toes will freeze off :lol: Rubber boots don't offer anything in terms of insulation/warmth, and there have been days when I didn't put extra socks on and when I came back inside, I couldn't feel my toes.

Back
Top Bottom