Going outside the "Box"

MN Girl in MS

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
I moved my 6 girls outside to their coop about five days ago. I'm in Southern Mississippi, so temperature is not a issue. I put their food and water inside, figuring it would help the transition. They seem to be thriving, but although each day I open the door for them to go outside (enclosed area, roof and fenced sides), they have not. They'll stand in the doorway looking out, venture as far as just outside the door, but haven't gone down the ramp to the ground. Their wings are pretty well developed, so I don't think they would have a problem getting up the ramp.

Do I just wait and let them do it on their own? Do I take them out and put them on the ground, so they can figure out they can get back inside when they want? Should I move the water and food out to "force" the decision?

Thanks for advice, I am new to this, and my "Beginner's Guide to Chickens" did not address, so I am glad I found this site.

Hi ,
I,m in Texas and have 5, 2 month old red sex like chickens. I am also new to this site and to raising chickens. Mine have most of their feathers, but two seem a bit older than the other three. When I first put them in the coop about a week ago. I put water upstairs for over nite but not food. I have since removed the water. So here is the funny thing, the two oldest go right up the ramp about 8pm. The other three run around squaking and carrying on. So I have been going out and putting them inside and closing the door. I am hoping they will soon go up on their own. I read somewhere else on this site they would go up when they are ready. I also have one of those buckets for water with the nipples and they figured that out just fine. Also I go out in the morning and open the door and they come out just fine, some walk down some walk half way and fly the rest of the way.

Thanks, it sounds like moving the food out may be the answer. One did come out today, I don't know if on purpose or maybe she got pushed, but she cried loudly for a bit but must have found her way back up, when I went to check, she was back inside. So I don't think that will be a problem for them.

How long have they been in their new coop? They should really be locked in for a week or so, so that they know that coop is "home". After that initial confinement I would give them a week or so to go outside on their own, before moving them or feet out.

They are naturally curious and pretty soon they just wont be able to take it anymore! One will step out then, monkey see monkey do, they will all be out.
lol.png

This is their sixth day in the coop. As I noted one did come out (or got pushed), but then cried until she got herself back in, which she apparently did with no problem. Tomorrow I'll put some feed outside, too and see what happens, But it sounds like there's no need to push it.

Thanks!

Now that I re-read your post I see you put the amount of time right there
duc.gif
. As long as its not super hot and your coop has ventilation I would think they are fine. You could maybe sprinkle a little feed in their run or grass clippings(if its a dirt floor run) to maybe speed up the process. How old were they again?

Back
Top Bottom