Going to be picking up lots of koi

Well I tried to build a pond but the dirt is absorbing all the water. Once its shallow enough I will have toi take them out and put them back in the holdign tank and buy a pond liner

Keep in mind non fancy goldfish actually have a 50year lifespan. 10 years is only a small amount of time for a goldfish to live. If kept in best conditions they can live 30+. Dying before that means their tank probably wasn't big enough or their diet was bad. Although many also meet accidents in that time period. Koi can possibly live 100-200years. These are very long lived fish if kept properly. In the news a few years back there was a koi that had been cared for by 5 generations of family. Fancy goldfish due to being bred for specific looks that poorly impact the health of the fish have a much shorter lifespan of only 10-15years even when kept properly.

You need a pond liner. After you dig a pond you then lay down a plastic? nylon? pond liner that seals the water from the dirt. I haven't actually set up my pond yet so I don't know details but I have done some research into it and the goldfish/koi threads come up frequently on fish forums. Especially the rants about how poorly these fish are often kept and how shortened their lifespans are from what they could live.

I want to go PVC. I had many different koi books but I packed them away for when I am ready to move into my new house. I hope the comets will last up to 10 years cause I want to bring them with me. I wont need a liner then because there is a creek that is in my soon to be backyard and I want to use it and make a pond (about 1 acre in size).

Fish are happy as can be. Need to decorate the area to make it look nicer. I just bought a new cell on ebay (LG VX9800 for parts) so I hope to repair it and fix it.

Back
Top Bottom