1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Going to county fair--scouting for sources, tips??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hooterville, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been checking the newspaper etc. for local sources for eggs and different breeds to try.
    I'm going to the fair tonight and I know they'll be lots of chickens. Would it be appropriate to talk with the handlers and try to find some sources for local hatching eggs or young chicks?
    What would you look for?
    Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    last year before I got my chicks.. I knew that I wanted different breeds.. But they even had chicks for sale at the fair. I asked tons of questions.. That is part of why they are there for you to ask questions.

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Yes I would ask people at the fair if they will be selling their birds after the fair.
    I know that some people get them to show and then have no real need to keep them...
    It doesn't hurt to ask! good luck...

4. Sunny Chook Farm

Sunny Chook Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    I'm too going to our county fair tonight. I know here after all the showing, most of the livestock is sold.. Can't wait to see all the chickens..

Good luck ! [​IMG] crossed that we both find what we're looking for..

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    If you do get chickens, don't forget to quarantine, quarantine, quarantine!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by