Going to Italy

It's not like Italians don't wear jeans but last time I was there they were wearing really tight ones tucked into tall flat heeled boots, probably out of style by now. You can get some really comfortable black pants at Express that aren't pricey. I pack light and two weeks is exactly the same as one week so for myself I would take things that would only require like two pairs of shoes, a dress up pair and and walking pair. Black is easiest to match for me. I would feel out of place wearing sneaks and jeans myself, but then, I'm self conscious. If you're not - go for comfort only. I take one black textile car length water resistant coat/jacket and layer underneath for the weather. A nice scarf always comes in handy but you can buy them anywhere there. What time of year are you going?

Quote:
A conversation that might amuse you... http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/for-those-wondering-what-europeans-dress-like.cfm

from the conversation...
1. Wear slacks, but if wearing jeans make sure they fit. If the crotch of your jeans is almost at your knees or of the seat of your pants is not up against your bum, they don't fit. Darker jeans are both more fashionable and more flattering here in the US, too.

2. Wear comfortable shoes if you expect to do a lot of walking. Eccos, Puma sneakers, flats. Dress shoes at night. Case closed.

3. A tee shirt is okay as long as it is not torn, stained, or showing signs of age. That "Knoxville Worlds Fair 1982" tee and Islanders hockey jersey are not cool at home. They are even less cool inside Westminster Abbey. Deal with it. Wear a presentable shirt or a sweater and a light jacket.

4. Wash your face. Comb your hair. Put on lipstick if you're a woman.​

Say, "Hello" to the Pope for me, will you....I attended Christmas Mass, this year, for the first time, since I was a teenager, at the urging of my sister. I'm sure, he'll be glad to hear of it.

Venice, travels to Florence, then Rome, then Naples and finally Pompeii.

Sounds delightful. While in Venice, go to the Isle of Murano and buy a set of glassware, or millefiori pendant or *something*. Best glassmakers in the world.

If you get a chance on the way to Firenze, if you're taking the train, you'll be switching trains in Bologna Centrale. Get off the train, go downtown and eat tortellini in brodo. Or lasagne. Or tagliatelle al Ragu Bolognese. Just DO NOT ask for "spaghetti bolognese" because Bolognese *NEVER* eat spaghetti with meatsauce and consider it an abomination. But that's okay - because the tagliatelle with ragu is SO awesome. (I lived for 2 years in Bologna with my bolognese husband.) Lasagne and tortellini are both invented in Bologna.

In Firenze (florence), take a trip to the Giardini Boboli. They're awesome gardens that overlook all of Florence and the nearby tuscan hills. It's worth the sight.

Rome - find a sidestreet (or follow the priests) to find a good little trattoria. Look at the serving sizes *Before* you order because roman servings (especially of pasta) tend to be HUGE.

Never made it to Naples or Pompeii.

In any case, enjoy your trip!​

American clothes won't match their styles anyway so don't worry, go for comfort. Your shoulders and knees will need to be covered when you go in cathedrals. If you have time Assisi is wonderful. The shopping there is great. Visit the little pig in Florence. If your will have your sigfinicant other with you take a lock with you to attack to the chain along the Arno. Lovers put their name on the lock, lock the lock on the chains or gates and throw the key in the river. We wanted to follow this tradition but could not find anywhere to buy a lock, so take one with you! ome is full of graffiti. Anything within arms reach high will be painted. This does not mean you are in a scary ghetto. We could not convince some of our group that they were in a safe place because they associate graffiti with high crime areas. Just saying.

Quote:
Sounds delightful. While in Venice, go to the Isle of Murano and buy a set of glassware, or millefiori pendant or *something*. Best glassmakers in the world.

If you get a chance on the way to Firenze, if you're taking the train, you'll be switching trains in Bologna Centrale. Get off the train, go downtown and eat tortellini in brodo. Or lasagne. Or tagliatelle al Ragu Bolognese. Just DO NOT ask for "spaghetti bolognese" because Bolognese *NEVER* eat spaghetti with meatsauce and consider it an abomination. But that's okay - because the tagliatelle with ragu is SO awesome. (I lived for 2 years in Bologna with my bolognese husband.) Lasagne and tortellini are both invented in Bologna.

In Firenze (florence), take a trip to the Giardini Boboli. They're awesome gardens that overlook all of Florence and the nearby tuscan hills. It's worth the sight.

Rome - find a sidestreet (or follow the priests) to find a good little trattoria. Look at the serving sizes *Before* you order because roman servings (especially of pasta) tend to be HUGE.

Never made it to Naples or Pompeii.

In any case, enjoy your trip!

I just had dinner, read this, and I'm hungry again.
pop.gif

Jeans are fine. But wear a pretty scarf and nice shoes or boots.

Agreed about the gypsies - or any other beggar. Just click your tongue and say no. DO NOT engage. They will take advantage. It's unfortunate but true.

Also - WATCH OUT for the drivers, especially the further south you go. I watched a taxi pull onto the sidewalk to turn the corner in rome. Pedestrians do not have right of way. And the road marks are just decoration. So, be careful.

Back
Top Bottom