Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
I know to look for the obvious:
runny noses
pale combs and waddles
leg mites
poop (if there is any in the cage and look at the colour)
runny/puffy eyes

all this is not good

But what are some other things I should look for?

I want some EEs and all i know is they look like chipmunks and may have greesish legs when they are chicks which is what I am hoping to be able to get or at least get in touch with some owners that can hatch for me

DH wants silkies,
do all silkies have feathers on their feet? what else do we look for with silkies?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I am going to ask DD (who is 6) to hold the money cause DH wants his slikies and I want my EEs .so its safe with her
gig.gif

If you already have chickens keep the new ones away from them for at least a month to make sure you don't make yours sick. Have fun! I love the auctions. I was lucky and got a Royal Palm Turkey for a dollar at an auction. I am pretty sure all Silkies have feathers on their feet.

Be sure to get there early and look at all the birds. Try to find out who is selling. If you do not have access to the birds then get a seat up close to the action and use as much judgment as you can.

Do not buy birds that are crammed into cages or have a lot of birds in one cage. This is a good indication that the birds were probably not cared for.

If the auctioneer tells you they are selling choice from the cage, do it and then go and pick the birds you want out. DO NOT let the people running the show do it for you as they probably have a buddy waiting for the next choice or bid on all.

All in all auctions are fun, but I rarely bid on birds unless I know the people who are selling them.

we are going to use the border thats in the basement (its huge) as a quarantine coop

I am hoping to get chicks
fl.gif
(but not holding my breath)

the auction starts at 8 we plan on being there at 7 (we have a friend who is selling some of his quail)

you definately should go out back and try to get a peek at all the birds first and try to find anything suspicious. ive had A LOT of bad experiences with chickens from auctions, once i bought 8 and they ended up getting most of my chickens, around 30 of them sick and then they all died. me and my family recall it as the black plague.lol.

well i went to my first auction here are the results

we bought 5 silkies
sadly there were no EEs

with a pic like this who could resist?
this is momma and her babies
13904_dsc03486.jpg

13904_dsc03487.jpg

this is Dharma and Greg
13904_dsc03491.jpg

Greg
13904_dsc03495.jpg

Dharma
13904_dsc03499.jpg

There were more game birds then chcikens
a beige peacock went for over $300 and the hen went for $60
th.gif

OK, you asked me (via PM) for my opinion and I'm flattered you think
my opinion is worth anything.
wink.png

If your DD loves them then they are priceless.

In a show sense they are not show quality but hatchery quality since
they have combs and a few other things.

But that doesn't matter. Few, if any, of my silkies have been show
quality.

Give them lots of love and treats and they will be the best silkies in the
world. They may even act like chickens since their eyes aren't covered
with fluff.

That first pic with the babies is adorable.

Welcome to the world of silkie domination. You are done for.
tongue.png

Always remember that silkies are evil and will steal your soul.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom