Going to try and hatch grocery store chicken eggs!

Im hoping they did have a rooster! There’s no way to tell unless there is some development. I made sure to pick the freshest eggs I could find. This is a shot in the dark but extremely exciting! Ill be sure to update as the days go by! Mange tak 😊!
I'm hoping that you're successful. I'm wondering why they'd have a rooster around when they only want eggs to sell.

Let me know if you do otherwise! Awww what kinda babies do you have?
Oh I will!! I have Splash Ameraucana, Blue Ameraucana, Lavender Ameraucana, Easter Eggers, Black Sex Link, RIR, French Black Maran, I believe their is White Leghorn (they look it anyway but I’m giving some time to see if there is any changes to them), Brown Leghorn, Cuckoo Maran, and Barred Plymouth Rock. They will be 6 weeks on Wednesday.

There is actually a Facebook group called "Hatching Store Bought Eggs." Many stories and pictures can be found there, for those so inclined to join. The blue carton "Happy Eggs" are preferred (in the US, anyway), along with plant 1267.

I actually have 22 blue carton Legbar and Marans Happy Eggs in the incubator right now, and at 1 week, I see no development whatsoever (they were 10 days old, not too bad, also plant 1267). Now trying to figure out what to do with 22 yolkers.... 😟 So, your mileage may vary.

Interestingly, all the air cells were in good shape. They are shipped hundreds of miles, but seem to fare much better than eggs shipped through the mail/post. I guess everyone but the post office knows to be careful with eggs. 🥴

Will I try it again? Probably not, but I wouldn't tell someone not to, either. Many are successful!

Last edited:
I'm hoping that you're successful. I'm wondering why they'd have a rooster around when they only want eggs to sell.
I really think it could depend on country I am in Denmark so maybe with free range chickens there are roosters. Only one way to find out!
Oh I will!! I have Splash Ameraucana, Blue Ameraucana, Lavender Ameraucana, Easter Eggers, Black Sex Link, RIR, French Black Maran, I believe their is White Leghorn (they look it anyway but I’m giving some time to see if there is any changes to them), Brown Leghorn, Cuckoo Maran, and Barred Plymouth Rock. They will be 6 weeks on Wednesday.
awww wow!! They sound adorable. Congrats on the babies!

There is actually a Facebook group called "Hatching Store Bought Eggs." Many stories and pictures can be found there, for those so inclined to join. The blue carton "Happy Eggs" are preferred (in the US, anyway), along with plant 1267.

I actually have 22 blue carton Legbar and Marans Happy Eggs in the incubator right now, and at 1 week, I see no development whatsoever (they were 10 days old, not too bad, also plant 1267). Now trying to figure out what to do with 22 yolkers.... 😟 So, your mileage may vary.

Interestingly, all the air cells were in good shape. They are shipped hundreds of miles, but seem to fare much better than eggs shipped through the mail/post. I guess everyone but the post office knows to be careful with eggs. 🥴

Will I try it again? Probably not, but I wouldn't tell someone not to, either. Many are successful!
Thank you so much!!! Sorry about the bad luck! It’s bound to happen at some point though 😍

Back
Top Bottom