Going to try and hatch grocery store chicken eggs!

Okay so some of the quail eggs had little cracks in them and I sealed them with candle wax do you think I can still incubate them? Or should I toss them? 2 of them were a bit too cracked so I opened them to see inside and it was harder than a chicken egg to pierce through the membrane so this leads me to believe that the eggs will be okay.
I would still try to incubate them, but I wouldnt have too much hope for the cracked ones to hatch- still, worth a shot!

I just saw a couple YouTube videos where a guy made an incubator and hatched store bought chicken and duck eggs, but the chicken eggs were sold as fertilized eggs. I think he was in Korea. I'm not sure if I've ever seen eggs sold here (USA) as such, which is a shame! Lol Good luck!

Good luck. But organic hens often don’t have a rooster to fertilise the eggs.

Can you buy Demeter eggs in Denmark as well? They sell them here in the organic shop.

If this doesn’t work out well, you could try Demeter eggs next time. Demeter or anthroposophical chickens always have roosters in the flock. There is a prescription of two roosters on 100 chickens.

There is actually a Facebook group called "Hatching Store Bought Eggs." Many stories and pictures can be found there, for those so inclined to join. The blue carton "Happy Eggs" are preferred (in the US, anyway), along with plant 1267.

I actually have 22 blue carton Legbar and Marans Happy Eggs in the incubator right now, and at 1 week, I see no development whatsoever (they were 10 days old, not too bad, also plant 1267). Now trying to figure out what to do with 22 yolkers.... 😟 So, your mileage may vary.

Interestingly, all the air cells were in good shape. They are shipped hundreds of miles, but seem to fare much better than eggs shipped through the mail/post. I guess everyone but the post office knows to be careful with eggs. 🥴

Will I try it again? Probably not, but I wouldn't tell someone not to, either. Many are successful!
My Happy Eggs all had pristine air cells and my shipped silkie eggs were detached horribly 🙄 It was so ironically frustrating lol

I’ve tried both yellow and blue Happy Egg cartons with no luck. The blue carton I checked for fertility first since my hens needed a good meal of scrambled eggs lol. I was so disappointed in the quality for the $8/dz! Super dark yolks, but almost every egg had meat spots, blood, etc and it was definitely not from a developed chick. I never would have eaten them 🤢

Back
Top Bottom