Going to use LG Still Air Incubator and have humidity and temp questio

petunias212

Songster
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
Hello everyone...i need to know the following if you would please:

1. What is the incubator temp i need for hatching chicken eggs? Manual reads 99.5%. Is this correct?

2. What is the wiggler temp I should be looking for?

3. What is the humidity needing to be at? The manual just instructs you to fill the rings but doesn't say how high the humidity should be and I know humidity levels will change as the chicks get ready to hatch.

Appreciate your help.

i'm not putting the eggs in yet as I want to be sure and stabilize the incubator as much as possible

I am presently using the smae bator. I keep the temps at about 100.5 - 101.0. If it had a fan, 99.5 is fine. My humidity is at 30%-35% for the first 18 days then I up it to at least 65%. I try to get it to 70% but need to add sponges. So, you can fill the 2 side canals with water and that shoud be fine. You will need to add more water in a couple days when the humidity drops to 20%-25%. Turn eggs 3x a day or use a turner. In pencil, I make an X on one side and an O on the other (I hand turn). Hope this helps
smile.png

Quote:
1&2 Egg temp should be 99.5 so thats what the wiggler should read, temp in the bator should read 100-101

3. 45% should be sufficient at the beginning and brought up to 60-65% for lock down if I remember correctly. There are great threads in there and make sure to check the top ones for all their helpful info I know it has helped me.

Oh, I also do not use a wiggler, but as long as the internal temp of the wiggler is 99.5 -100.5 that should be good. My temp readings are usually at the top of the egg or slightly under the top.

In a still air, hot air rises so you get different temperatures at different levels in the incubator. In a still air, the normal recommendation is 105.5 degrees (Typo. I meant 101.5) at the top level of the eggs. In a forced air, it is 99.5 degrees, but that should be the same everywhere in the incubator. With the wiggler at the level of the center of the eggs, I really don't know but would probably shoot for somewhere around 99.5 or just above.

I don't have that model incubator. The instructions with my 1588 said fill a certain reservoir during incubation then fill additional reservoirs at lockdown. I've done this and been successful. I use the hygrometer to tell me when I need to add water and don't worry about what the actual humidity is. I think you will find that different people use different humidities and that what works for one does not work for another. Some of those discussions can get pretty nasty. My recommendation is to do what the instructions that came with the incubator say and be consistent the first time. Then, after your first hatch, analyze what happened and make adjustments the next hatch if you need any adjustments.

Good luck and welcome to the adventure!

Last edited:
I have the LG as well. Don't go by the manual like i did. You'll have a very bad hatch. Try a dry hatch. That means no water. But you still need the humidity at no more than 25%. If you have a fan kit which would be better, than the temp should be 100. Everyone says that the auto turner is bad in the LG. I went and looked through BYC and found a woman who made her own turners by using the egg cartons and 3/4 inch pvc tubes so that they will rock to either side. I am putting in eggs tonight and am hoping for a better hatch this time. Good Luck

I keep my still air reading 102 at top of eggs and they usually hatch on day 22-24.
I keep a thermometer on the wire rack also where temps read between 97-98 when top of eggs is 101-102.
I don't use a wiggler.

I add little pet food containers filled with water under the wire during hatch. I hatch them at 70% humidity.
No matter what I do in the LG there are always shrink wrapped chicks and drowned chicks. Its a bad incubator IMHO...

Quote:
Living in So. Fl the humidity is generally always above 65% and normally 80-90%
I;m not one to add much water in my incubators until the very last week or so. I've been hatching for decades this way.. Hoever. I DID just purchase a new style Hovabator and it comes with a temp/hygro.. So it'll be interesting to see what kind of numbers I'm getting

I have 3 little giant still air incubators. I kept my temps at 100.9 -102.3 the whole way through and I didn't add water for the first 18 days. Upon lockdown I got my humidity up to 55%. This morning when I woke up my temp was 100.9 and 45% humidity and guess what? I had a baby chick that hatched sometime between 11:30 pm lastnight and 8:30 am this morning.

I have 13 chicks right now that has hatched which is great. Last 2 hatches were failures. I know it was what I did wrong on those hatches.

Back
Top Bottom