Gold lacd wyandotte question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jehaz, Sep 4, 2013.

1. jehaz

jehaz Out Of The Brooder

Hi,

I have 2x 19 week old gold laced wyandottes amongst my flock of 25.

I think they are both laying, but its hard to tell who the eggs are coming from, but we've only been getting eggs for a week now and they are still small.

One of the glw hens has a big comb that flops over, but the other has just a flat puffy comb without any fingers.

I read that wyandotte hens shouldn't have combs with fingers, - they should only have the puffy kind.

So what is the comb a sign of? Is it related to maturity or laying? Is it an imperfection in the breed?

I don't care as long as they are healthy, which they seem to be, I'm just curious

Clucks in advance, james

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You are right, wyandottes do not have combs that stand up. A lot times when you order chicks from hatcheries they may not be 100% pure bred. Not necessarily a bad thing, you will still have eggs and companionship from them.

3. jehaz

jehaz Out Of The Brooder

I got these GLW from tractor supply. They do look like Wyandotte's in every other way, and have beautiful lacing

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I don't buy chicks from TSC any more. I have seen too many chicks in tubs that were not what they were labled.

5. jehaz

jehaz Out Of The Brooder

its kinda hard to resist, when you're in there buying layer and they have a tub fall of a breed you dont have, chirping "pick me"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by