Gold laced genetics and improving type

Joeschooks

Just clucking around
Feb 7, 2018
Hampshire, UK
My Coop
My Coop
I have some Gold Laced Pekins which are of course not a standard colour and therefore fairly early in their development. The lacing is good but I’d like to work on improving their type - mainly shorter legs and back and the round plump look that is expected of the breed. What should I cross with to improve the body shape but retain the lacing?
48E3C858-93C1-4C13-979F-6898AAA7ED38.png

I’m not sure if their lacing is partridge or birchen based. I’ll assume Partridge.

You won’t want to cross them to anything without the genes that are needed for lacing.

The best bet is to cross to double lacing or silver lacing or Columbian in my opinion.

You will find yourself in a deep hole if you breed them with something that has only 2 out of the 4 genes needed for lacing.

***But someone has to verify if they are Partridge or birchen based

I know most breeds that are based on the Birchen Lacing genotype(ER, Db, Pg, Ml, Co) are of a Meditteranean type of with mufss breads and such, there are some people working with this type of lacing on British Type birds, for example, the British type Orps are Birchen based laced(look at the tail) and compare it to the partridge based lacing(eb, Pg, Ml, Co) and look at the tail, Wyandotte tails are Solid black.

Db(Dark Brown) is a powerful Restrictor and combined with Columbian they restrict even the hardest part of the bird which is the tail on roosters.

I know most breeds that are based on the Birchen Lacing genotype(ER, Db, Pg, Ml, Co) are of a Meditteranean type of with mufss breads and such, there are some people working with this type of lacing on British Type birds, for example, the British type Orps are Birchen based laced(look at the tail) and compare it to the partridge based lacing(eb, Pg, Ml, Co) and look at the tail, Wyandotte tails are Solid black.

Db(Dark Brown) is a powerful Restrictor and combined with Columbian they restrict even the hardest part of the bird which is the tail on roosters.

Sounds like you really know your genetics. I wish I understood So am I right in thinking I could cross my gold laced roo to Columbian Pekin hens of good type to improve the type but retain the lacing, then keep putting the female offspring back to the gold laced roo?

Birchen Based Lacing extends to the roosters tail and while this effect is not as clear on Orps since the don't have much tails to go by(as opposed to birds with straight tails) here is an example:

Sounds like you really know your genetics. I wish I understood So am I right in thinking I could cross my gold laced roo to Columbian Pekin hens of good type to improve the type but retain the lacing, then keep putting the female offspring back to the gold laced roo?

Silver Columbian? Or Buff Columbian Pecking? In any case you will have to deal with the F1s being eb/eb, Co/Co, but Pg/pg+ and Ml/ml+, a F1xF1 cross will get you back the Co/Co, Pg/Pg and Ml/Ml Homozygous.

Back
Top Bottom