Gold Laced Orpington- For Learning and Sharing

Hi Renie..pecan pie sounds fantastic!!...never aquired a taste for coffee thou..
roll.png

I also would like to address color.. but from the black aspect. I just gotta know.. it is eating me up inside.. trying to figure out what a TRUE black is... Some people think it is black feathers right down to the quill.... OK but take in mind these blacks are part of a blue breeding program and they are carrying the blue gene where they show it or not. I don't see anyway to breed it out. Perhaps it is the label given "True Black" that is the issue. They are all black. Ok.. so are we saying.... to create the desired black for projects one must start a breeding program of black feather / quill birds only and cull out the lighter ones?? What will this do the green sheen??? I think it will destroy it :(

Help :(

WOW you guys really have some awesome birds!! I was never crazy about the gold laced color- but on Orpingtons, for some reason, I think it is my favorite color! I think I might have to get on someone's egg waiting list :p

I'm struggling to get my Gold's to lay and be fertile...making me crazy. I've waited so long and got a few eggs, but after candling...no luck
sad.png

I guess until they decided to lay, I can always just admire the adults.

Is it a variety that you can feather sex this variety Dee? interesting how the down varies in color, one is almost a cinnamon color..I remember you were talking about the cinnamon color in one of the threasds, maybe you could post something about that in here

No feather sexing unfortunately. I now have 4 maybe 5 (the last one just poked its head out of the shell, and might be cinnamon also). I'm not sure what the cinnamon will indicate if anything. I am photo cataloging down feather colors to see if it has any effect on adult ground color. I had just noticed that the lines in Germany showed more of the cinnamon and not the gold heads. Time will tell. Lynne, I had no idea you hurt your wrist!
hugs.gif
I understand about the whole pride thing. I injured my rotator (msp?) cuff and the fall was so humiliating.

Sorry to hear you fell Lynn. So far so good this winter for me.. but I usually get at least one good butt buster every yr. :(
I got it good Renie! Had XRAYs , didnt break anything..but boy was I sore..They have granite walk at post office , water on top of ice..when you get this age..feels like your falling in slow motion...until you hit the ground....they are butt busters indeed

I'm struggling to get my Gold's to lay and be fertile...making me crazy. I've waited so long and got a few eggs, but after candling...no luck
sad.png

I guess until they decided to lay, I can always just admire the adults.

How old are they KVchick? When Nellie gets back from her date, maybe she can help us with a timeframe on fertility. I have kept three cockerels. One was able to fertilize a rock at 6 months
big_smile.png
The other it took 4 wks more and I am now testing the third. It may just take some time. The good news is while you are waiting, the hen's eggs are getting larger and by the time they are fertile you will have more to put in and larger eggs for the incubator at one time. It's hard having all ages running around. Hang in there. They are soooo worth the wait.

Even I am a little confused now with the black color..I have blacks that to my knowlege have never had blue breeding..So look I for flatter or charcole colored hens to breed to brilliant green rooster..so far havnt had a problem, except one cockeral that got sick after weasle attack..he developed purple barring on a couple featehrs on shoulder after that, I plucked them on right side and they grew back green sheen ..so I assume it was the stress of antibiotics ect..I didnt keep him..but thought that was strange..I think Julies birds always come out with a brilliant green sheen it seems even the ones that were crossed with blue..so wish I had an answer about that but I dont..maybe somone could help ..

Geoff over on australorp thread breeds black australorp, he has some interesting things to say about the green sheen ect..you might ask him..they have same standard color requirement as black orpington..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom