Gold Laced Orpington- For Learning and Sharing

WOW you guys really have some awesome birds!! I was never crazy about the gold laced color- but on Orpingtons, for some reason, I think it is my favorite color! I think I might have to get on someone's egg waiting list :p

Welcome flgardengirl! The good news is that now there are more breeders out there. Hopefully if this thread catches on, more will introduce themselves and you will have luck getting on someone's waiting list. I happen to know that rockinpaints (aka Nellie) is offering day olds. I'm not sure about her waiting list. She offers more than one line, that is the best way to start. IMO

I also would like to address color.. but from the black aspect. I just gotta know.. it is eating me up inside.. trying to figure out what a TRUE black is... Some people think it is black feathers right down to the quill.... OK but take in mind these blacks are part of a blue breeding program and they are carrying the blue gene where they show it or not. I don't see anyway to breed it out. Perhaps it is the label given "True Black" that is the issue. They are all black. Ok.. so are we saying.... to create the desired black for projects one must start a breeding program of black feather / quill birds only and cull out the lighter ones?? What will this do the green sheen??? I think it will destroy it :(

Help :(

I am totally new to learning about the blacks. What I have been told by a friend, he has amazing blacks, is that to know for sure that they are 100% black, you must breed them black to black for 4 generations and they will be 15/16th black. I am starting a black line, for my GL
roll.png
(5 hatched today!!!) but don't want to outcross until I know that they are 100% black. Getting blue in there, unless you are breeding gold laced blue (the original color, BTW) would not be good for the underfluff color. If you are breeding GL Black, and they have a blue underfluff, it is a DQ (in countries where they are standardized German, Belgium...)

Maybe we could invite someone with experience in breeding blacks to help us out. Nellie has bred both Gold Laced Blue and Gold Laced Blacks. Maybe she can help. I followed a thread once in UOC that talked about the green sheen and how to maintain it in blacks. Maybe someone can remember where and point us in the right direction.

The standard color for the GL does mention the green sheen, but they used another term. It was written in German and I'm not sure if I translated it correctly. But I knew what they were referring to. I will send Julie a PM and see if she is willing to help us.

How old are they KVchick? When Nellie gets back from her date, maybe she can help us with a time frame on fertility. I have kept three cockerels. One was able to fertilize a rock at 6 months
big_smile.png
The other it took 4 wks more and I am now testing the third. It may just take some time. The good news is while you are waiting, the hen's eggs are getting larger and by the time they are fertile you will have more to put in and larger eggs for the incubator at one time. It's hard having all ages running around. Hang in there. They are soooo worth the wait.
I've been waiting and wanting these for a long time. I candled eggs last night and none of the Gold's were fertile. My English BBS are fertile and hope to hatch out my first English soon. My Gold's are doing this just to stress me out...they know how bad I want them to lay and be fertile. Lil boogers!!.
roll.png
Maybe I should put my GL roo in with a Blue English and see what happens...LOL
I'd love to get some ideas and advice from Nellie...
big_smile.png

I've been waiting and wanting these for a long time. I candled eggs last night and none of the Gold's were fertile. My English BBS are fertile and hope to hatch out my first English soon. My Gold's are doing this just to stress me out...they know how bad I want them to lay and be fertile. Lil boogers!!.
roll.png
Maybe I should put my GL roo in with a Blue English and see what happens...LOL
I'd love to get some ideas and advice from Nellie...
big_smile.png

"Be patient little grasshopper"...They are trying to stress you out!
big_smile.png
Tell them you don't care, and walk away. That will do the trick!

I'm not 100% sure, but if you use your GL roo with a Blue, in time you will have Gold Laced Blue. Wouldn't take another coop at all. Just put a blue hen in with the GL hens. They could both share the roo. You will know which ones are from the blue the first generation, I believe. You can also tell the blues from the blacks if you have a good light source. (the sun). I can spot the difference even in pictures. What I look for is the underfluff. The GL Blues have a greyish/bluish underfluff and the lacing is bluish. The 100% GL Blacks will have a really black underfluff. Their vent feathers won't be as jet black so it will depend on your angle of viewing. Don't know if that makes sense.

I'm new here so please bear with me...just thought I would like your opinion on our Gold Lace, so this is Gordon & the Golden Girls debut.

I'm new here so please bear with me...just thought I would like your opinion on our Gold Lace, so this is Gordon & the Golden Girls debut.

Well, I'll jump in to say, Welcome!!! I am not an APA judge, so I will refrain from an answer. They're Gold Laced Blues, right? Are the pullet's eyes black?

Last edited:
I am totally new to learning about the blacks. What I have been told by a friend, he has amazing blacks, is that to know for sure that they are 100% black, you must breed them black to black for 4 generations and they will be 15/16th black. I am starting a black line, for my GL
roll.png
(5 hatched today!!!) but don't want to outcross until I know that they are 100% black. Getting blue in there, unless you are breeding gold laced blue (the original color, BTW) would not be good for the underfluff color. If you are breeding GL Black, and they have a blue underfluff, it is a DQ (in countries where they are standardized German, Belgium...)

Maybe we could invite someone with experience in breeding blacks to help us out. Nellie has bred both Gold Laced Blue and Gold Laced Blacks. Maybe she can help. I followed a thread once in UOC that talked about the green sheen and how to maintain it in blacks. Maybe someone can remember where and point us in the right direction.

The standard color for the GL does mention the green sheen, but they used another term. It was written in German and I'm not sure if I translated it correctly. But I knew what they were referring to. I will send Julie a PM and see if she is willing to help us.

Thanks Dee ")

Dee , I wonder if you could run that standard through bablefish or another translator to get a german-english translation..or would that even work?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom