Gold Laced Orpington- For Learning and Sharing

Pics
My first Gold Laced Orpington.

These are the 2 GL I just hatched. They are getting their wing feathers, but I don't see any lacing! What's up?

Will they molt and get the lacing? Are these weird genetics?

Sexing GLO chicks??
I'm thinking three hens and a roo, but might be four hens? All I know is that one of them has less lacing and a *slightly* larger comb...

Less lacing=roo??

The possible roo's comb... They've all appeared this pink in different lighting, I think it's the combo of this age (6 weeks) and the white skin gene)

Last edited:
Lacing is not indicative of gender so young. Once you see saddle feathering you will know for sure- they will be gold, thin and pointy. Also rounded feathers at the base of the tail are pullet and the ones that are pointy are cockerels. Comb size so young could give you a clue, but it would depend on your bloodline. The short answer- it is fun to guess at six weeks. Once you have several generations under your belt, you will know how your strain develops and might be able to tell sooner.

Last edited:
[quote name="Heron's Nest Farm"
Are they cinnamons?

The chicks above are not cinnamon chicks. I just recently saw pics of cinnamon chicks that are feathering out with very light ground color. I am no longer sure of how much down coloring indicaties adult ground coloring. With my chicks I can predict ground coloring very young.

So excited!! Finally have GL chicks, and they're absolutely adorable. They remind me of little teddy bears (I know it's silly, but they do)!

my gold laced are normally my most proficient layers. I have 2 hens and for almost 3 months I have set 21 eggs/ week in the incubator, but recently, 2 have gone broody. Waiting on them to start up again. Its natural for chickens to take breaks from laying eggs to let their systems recover.

Back
Top Bottom