Gold Laced Splash Orpington

I had a place I was going to order from but shipping was +$100 so that’s out..... If anyone knows where to buy some eggs, that’d be awesome.
I do have splash Orpingtons though. What would I need mate-wise to “create” one?
I'm sorry but I don't have idea where to get some eggs.
But I think that using splash ones would be difficult because they may not carry the genes for gold lacing🤔
If I was you, I'd try to search for a couple of gold laced blues, then I'd keep only the gold laced splash chicks

Ooooook so this is the same splash as blue/black/splash & I’m looking at a White (splash) bird with gold lacing? That makes sense now lol!

Is lace like mottled? For instance
GL splash with blue= 50% blue 50% splash all with no lace but they would carry lace?
All splashes are the same.

Not exactly. Mottling is one gene. Lacing is a series of genes. You could get partial lacing in that cross, some leakage, or a solid blue/splash.

I do have splash Orpingtons though. What would I need mate-wise to “create” one?

I notice this thread is older, and I see you found a place to order some, but I'm going to answer in case anyone else needs to know.

If you can get a Blue Laced Red or a Splash Laced Red, and some normal Gold Laced, you can breed Splash Laced Gold in just a few generations.

The "lacing" is the black, blue, or splash edging on the feather.
The red or gold is the ground color in the middle of the feather.

The genetics for lacing are complicated, so using a bird that is just splash (no visible lacing) would be more difficult. Starting with only laced birds would be easier, and would save quite a few generations of work getting the lacing to look right.

I've even seen some people who bought Blue Laced Red and then complained that the birds looked like Blue Laced Gold instead-- for a project like this, such birds would be the perfect starting point. Just cross two, hatch a bunch of chicks, and pick out the ones with splash lacing!

Edit: oops, I was thinking Wyandottes. Laced Wyandottes are easy to get in the colors I mentioned. Orpingtons are not. :oops:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom