Gold Sex-links being aggressive?

Chickenmanjim7

Chirping
Sep 16, 2015
Aberdeen, Washington
I recently added to my flock and the chicks were let into the coop just a day or two ago. My two gold sex links immediately started attacking and chasing the chicks to the point of almost ripping one of my leg horns combs off. After reading some posts I have heard this breed can be aggressive. Is there a way to stop that? Currently they are both in time out.

How old are the chicks? How old are your current birds, and how many are there? What is the size of your coop and run? What method are you using to try to integrate them?

Your Run is too small for that many Chickens....Also trying to add young birds that are still peeping usually does not work...Do you free range?...You could try free ranging them together to give them way more space as they get used to each other....

I don't know anything about chicks with adult birds yet but I do find it odd that they are already used to the chicks due the time they've spend together and still attack the youngsters ? does it have to do with size or communication in that case ? Just because I know that a chicken of same size gets better accepted but I was wondering about communicating issues ? if the chicks are still peeping birds they can't really mengle themselves into chickentalks or am I wrong in this ? Now I am just curious and thinking along but I do say I do not know anything about this ( avoiding misunderstandings )

I don't know anything about chicks with adult birds yet but I do find it odd that they are already used to the chicks due the time they've spend together and still attack the youngsters ? does it have to do with size or communication in that case ? Just because I know that a chicken of same size gets better accepted but I was wondering about communicating issues ? if the chicks are still peeping birds they can't really mengle themselves into chickentalks or am I wrong in this ? Now I am just curious and thinking along but I do say I do not know anything about this ( avoiding misunderstandings )
Birds that have never raised Chicks or had to share their space are extremely bossy...Pecking order and all the Top Hens can be aggressive and protective of their space...

Not really - its' more about the older birds asserting their dominance and food-based aggression. It can take a while before younger birds "get the message" about knowing how to behave around adults.

thx , I can ' see the picture ' a lot clearer now , was just looking online about it and there are some serious warnings about adult birds with chicks , odd in fact if you know that some hens would love to play mommy and daddy .. we've had chicks in the past but they all died ( free ranged flock back then ) the little ones also got attacked by others of the flock while moms tried to defend untill the day came the chicks spended less time with the mommy and so ..... so it went and they went ...

Back
Top Bottom