gold sex links

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chris71782, May 13, 2015.

1. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    that would yield black sex link chicks.

2. chris71782

chris71782 New Egg

May 13, 2015
    Which chickens lay white eggs and i have tried several times to boil brown eggs and every time no matter what i do they end up tearing the eggs up, what should i do?

3. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The issue you are having is not related to the egg shell color. Fun fact, brown eggs are white eggs that have been "spray painted" with brown pigment prior to being expelled from the hens body.
    some white layers are:
    leghorns
    anconas
    minorcas
    hamburgs
    polish
    andalusians
    fayoumis
    modern games

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado

Fresh eggs are challenging to hard boil. You could leave them out on the counter for a week or in the fridge for 2. My trick is to cover them in cold water, add a splash of vinegar. Let them sit 30 minutes. Turn the heat on. Bring to boil. Remove from heat, cover and let them sit another 30 minutes. Chill. Egg color has nothing to do with it. It's all about freshness. Store bought eggs hardboil so easily because they are old.

1 person likes this.
  5. chris71782

chris71782 New Egg

May 13, 2015
    Thanks i didn't know that

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    As Old Grey Mare stated, that particular combination would give you Black Sex Links which are my personal favorite chickens. They are egg laying machines like Red (Gold) Sex Links as I stated in my earlier post, and I actually prefer them to the Red (Gold) Sex Links as my Black Sex Links have been friendlier than my Reds (Golds), have been slightly better layers in really cold winter weather, and have typically had a longer laying life. However, I don't think you can go wrong with either Sex Link variety.

8. chris71782

chris71782 New Egg

May 13, 2015
    Which chickens are best for meat

9. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    That depends on what you are wanting. Are you asking about which bird reaches a process weight the fastest and has most meat on the carcass at an early age (that would be Cornish Cross) or are you wanting a bird that is a bit longer to grow out (pioneer/ranger type birds) or what breeds you can keep as a laying flock that can also serve to be processed and consumed when you have excess cockerels/retired hens (dual purpose breeds). There is a great thread here : https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ld-i-raise-whats-the-differences#post_5449752 that discusses the pros and cons of each category and might help you sort out what you are looking for.

10. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    From an purely economic perspective, Cornish cross is easily the best way to go for meat. Due to their incredibly rapid growth rate, they are ready for butchering at 8 weeks. In fact, if you wait much beyond that, they will begin to develop serious health problems due to their abnormal growth rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by