Golden Buff vs Buff Orpington

Jo1705

Chirping
May 26, 2018
Which have you guys had better experience with? Buff Orpingtons or Golden Buffs/Comets/Sexlinks? Just wondering on which to choose.

Which have you guys had better experience with? Buff Orpingtons or Golden Buffs/Comets/Sexlinks? Just wondering on which to choose.
Golden Buffs/Comets/Sex-links lay a lot more eggs, but they aren't nearly as friendly and are no good as table birds. I don't use my chickens for that, but just saying.
Buff Orpingtons are ridiculously friendly, and they're dual purpose. But they don't lay near as many eggs, roughly 250 compared to 300+. They also don't have as good of feed conversion to eggs.
So it really depends on what you want them for more, eggs or pets, and whether or not you want to eat them.
If you look at your goals, the choice might be obvious.
Personally, I prefer the Orpingtons.
Hope this is helpful.

That would largely depend on what your preference and goals for having chickens would be. They are quite different in several ways. Golden Comets and other similar varieties are crossbred chickens bred for the purpose of egg production and as such they are real good egg layers. They don’t go broody and will not breed true in subsequent generations. Also I don’t think that they last as long due to the early and high rate of lay, but should last for a couple of years at least and could then be replaced.
Orpingtons are very calm and friendly type birds. They don’t lay quite as well as some others but lay pretty good compared to other breeds with similar rates of broodiness. These are more purebred and could reproduce the same each generation

Back
Top Bottom