Golden Campine exceeding expectations (daily eggs)

Joetothemo

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2017
My Golden Campine is 6 months and just figured out how to lay eggs. We are very excited. However everything I have read is that these birds are only supposed to be "moderate layers" around 150 eggs per year. She is laying every single day. Is it normal for a pullet to be a little overachiever when she is just figuring things out?

(PS - We know they are her eggs because she is our only white egg layer.

Congrats on getting eggs!

I think when you see things like rate of egg laying, temperament, etc. they refer to breed averages. Every bird is going to be a bit different.

Your girl just might be a better than average layer for her breed. And that's nice for you!

I know that hens in their first year lay more. After that it kinda drops off. I think that you just have a very good first year layer on your hands...especially in these cooler months!
She is a mediterranean/light breed like leghorns so I wouldn't be too surprised that she lays so many eggs.
That's great for you!

Congrats! Had a few of those years back, beautiful birds, although I recall them being a bit skittish I like the way the roos walked around with the chest up high

She is a sweetheart...and also a handful. She has needed to be rescued from the creek behind our home, the neighbor's garden and even with clipped wings, she has learned how to scale the hen house and jump to a tree branch (about 12' high). She's a lot of work, but our most fun and quirky girl.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. She took a day off yesterday but jumped up first thing in the AM and laid one between 5:30 and 7:30 am. Very proud of her! Now if all her little buddies could just learn from her example!

Back
Top Bottom