Golden Colors

Quote:
Your basic principle on the red gene being dominant is almost correct- it depends on what mutation color you breed with a red.

I have taken peach golden males and bred to red golden hens- the offspring looked like yellow goldens and then did get some splash feathering.

The fuss is, when you cross these, it doesnt strenghten eithers line, the red or the mutation.

Crossing back out to red- can help by adding genetic diversity into mutation color.​

Yep that's true on the helping of the mutation for sure, not much for the reds though... never played with the peach any, so that's good to know. Was the red hen pure red or possible offspring out of another mutation cross , to your knowledge?

Quote:
Are your Cinnamon and Dark Throated line inbred? is that why you want to mix the 2 colors?

I dont know, i was just wondering

Okay, I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for actual photos of a mahogany golden pheasant, not some washed out red, when I came across this thread. It almost shames me to see what people believe about crossing and their outcomes. Yellow golden is a true mutation. Crossing a yellow golden with a red golden gives you red golden that carry the yellow gene (it looks red golden). If you were to breed the offspring of yg to rg together, you would get red goldens, yellow goldens and red goldens that carry the yellow gene. If you breed a dark throated golden to a yellow golden, you get all birds that look red golden, but they all carry the genes for both mutations. If you breed these offspring together, you get reds, yellows, dark throated, and a new colour (or colour combination) called salmon. The reds would carry the various genes except salmon.

The reason I looked for mahogany pics, is because I have a friend with some birds that I believe are mahogany (see pic below). Note, this is in no way using amherst blood, it is the crossing of the birds described in the following sentences. If this is true (please reply from those with experience with mahogany), then mahogany is the resulting offspring of a colour combination of cinnamon and dark throated (breeding similar to get salmon except you use cinnamon instead of yellow). Note the dark face.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom