Golden Comet Help

Very true!

However in order for both genders of the offspring to be barred the rooster needs to be barred as well. A hen will pass her barring gene to her sons, but NOT to her daughters (this is the secret of making a black sexlink). A rooster will pass the barring gene to both genders. So I just don't see how a New Hamp-looking rooster can sire these barred babies. I'm baffled.

Very true, and I don't know what's going on with his birds either. I just wanted him to know that even if he crosses true New Hampshire Red roosters with White Rock hens he still may not get Red Sex Links. If he is not mistaken, and has not bred Barred Rock roosters with White Rock hens, then I think the only possible explanation is that his New Hampshire Red roosters (in spite of how they may appear superficially), have some type of barred gene in them. I don't know how to explain that, other than some kind of goof by the hatchery or whoever bred them.

then I think the only possible explanation is that his New Hampshire Red roosters (in spite of how they may appear superficially), have some type of barred gene in them.
Even that doesn't really make any since. If the NHR roosters had a barred gene in them, I would think that they would at least show some light barring. This is a real mystery. The only thing that is certain is that he doesn't have Red Sex Links.

If the NHR roosters had a barred gene in them, I would think that they would at least show some light barring.

Exactly! It's so neat to meet another Sexlink aficionado. :)

The barring gene is so dominant I don't think that it's possible for a bird to carry it without showing it (the only exception being a bird that carries both dominant white and the barring gene, such as some White Rocks, who ARE barred, but the white on white barring doesn't show).

There must be some kind of mixup on those eggs. Or something, as cattlemen say, "jumped the fence" LOL.

Back
Top Bottom