golden comet or Red X ? or both?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sassafras, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    Our feed store is going to be having some chick at the end of March and they will be having Golden Comets and Red cross. I believe the Red X is a cross between a RIR and A New Hampshire? What is a Golden Comet a hybrid of ?
    They will also have GL Wyandottes, Auraconas and black sex links. I am definitely getting some of the GLW's and Auracanas and probably a few of the others but was curious about the Golden Comet and Red x traits. I just want some hardy backyard ladies for my first chickies.

2. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
  3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Most hatcheries and feed stores call their Easter Eggers 'Americanas' or 'Araucanas'. Not a huge deal as long as you know what you are getting. Bottom line, though, is that the feedstore 'Araucanas' or Ameircanas will most likely make great backyard birds, lay well, and probably lay green or blue eggs.
    Not sure about your other question.

Sorry, Celtic beat me to it!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Ask the manager where they get their chicks, as in, which hatchery. Most don't try to hide the fact.
    Armed with that information, you can get more details from the hatchery's website.

The Golden Comet is RIR type Red bird crossed with a white Wyandotte or Delaware type white bird.
    The Reds and the Comets would be hardy, friendly and terrific egg layers. They will not go broody if that is in your plans.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by