Golden Comet Rooster, or Hen??

alwaysotherfish

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2015
Neosho, Mo
I have 2 golden comets, they both came from the same facility, but they both are starting to look more and more different. They were born on July 6th 2015 which makes them around 18 weeks old.

Madonna, or maybe Don?

Goldie, or Something more manly lol?

Thanks for all your help
bow.gif

Both of them are hens. Golden Comet is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links which can be sexed by color from hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish/goldish). Adult Red Sex Links are also easily identifiable by color. Females (like yours) are primarily red/gold with white underfluff. Male RSLs are primarily white with some red feathering in the saddle area. You can rest assured that you have two pullets. The larger and redder comb and wattles of the pullet in the top picture simply means that she is close to laying.

Last edited:
Both of them are hens. Golden Comet is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links which can be sexed by color from hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish/goldish). Adult Red Sex Links are also easily identifiable by color. Females (like yours) are primarily red/gold with white underfluff. Male RSLs are primarily white with some red feathering in the saddle area. You can rest assured that you have two pullets. The larger and redder comb and wattles of the pullet in the top picture simply means that she is close to laying.
x2
By 18 weeks, the combs are supposed to start turning red. It means that she is maturing, and her body is getting ready to start laying eggs.

That is the best news I have heard all week!!!!!!!! Thank you so much, I was worried for a minute! I only have 2 comets then the rest are not as reliable of layers, I thought I was going to be down eggs. Thank you again!!! Hopefully now they will start using the inside of the coop and stop sleeping on top of it!

That is the best news I have heard all week!!!!!!!! Thank you so much, I was worried for a minute! I only have 2 comets then the rest are not as reliable of layers, I thought I was going to be down eggs. Thank you again!!! Hopefully now they will start using the inside of the coop and stop sleeping on top of it!

You're welcome.

Good to know, learn something new every day.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom