Rooster or hen? And what breed is this..

Kyn Garcia

Chirping
May 22, 2022
Lake Arthur, Louisiana
Okay so I got 4 baby chicks about 2 months ago from my nieces maw maw. She didn’t really know for sure which chicks were which but she believed she had some New Hampshire Reds & Cinnamon Queens for sure.. so I’m pretty positive these are some New Hampshire Reds… I have 2 that we named Goldie and Dixie and I’ve been suspicious that Dixie just might be a Dicky for awhile now but I’m starting to think that Goldie just might be a rooster as well. Goldie is really sweet with us but she or he can be a little aggressive with the other chicks especially Dixie. They are always rising up at each other in circles. Dixie on the other hand I find does have more of rooster tendencies.. (although I’ve never had a rooster LOL) the feathers on Dixie is what I first noticed that made me think it just might be a rooster and I’m going to put pics to see what y’all think cause I used to think their feathers looked different but now I think they both have the more pointed feathers.. my other two that I got with them I believe is a australorp (Luna) but the grey one I have no idea what she is.. her name is Lady.. but their combs are a lot smaller than Goldie and Dixie’s and aren’t red at all and their feathers are so much softer than Dixie and Goldie’s but I didn’t know if maybe that was just a different breed thing or a hen/rooster thing lol… so my two questions are do y’all think my NHR are roosters and does anyone know what kind of breed Lady.. I added a pic of when we first got her to show what she looked like as a baby chick
IMG_3799.jpeg
my grey one is..
IMG_3792.jpeg
IMG_3793.jpeg
IMG_3580.jpeg
IMG_3571.jpeg

Last edited:
The grey one is an Easter Egger.

At 2 months, they no longer need a heat lamp.
Oh no I don’t have a heat lamp on them, I live in Louisiana it is scorching hot! Lol that red reflection is the tarp I have over the run. So you can’t tell in the picture but she’s got a very small crest on top of her head.. I didn’t know the legbars have that.. when she first started getting her feathers in I thought her head feathers were just growing faster than the rest and we were like oh look her little pony tail she’s got lol but it’s still there so I’m thinking maybe that’s what she is? All the legbars I’ve been searching seem like they are darker than her though so idk.. maybe she’s mixed with legbar and Easter egger or because she’s mixed with something does that make her an Easter egger? Lol idk I’m still learning, I have 4 Easter Eggers and a leghorn that we’ve been raising a little over a year now and these are the first time we’ve added to the flock.

Oh no I don’t have a heat lamp on them, I live in Louisiana it is scorching hot! Lol that red reflection is the tarp I have over the run. So you can’t tell in the picture but she’s got a very small crest on top of her head.. I didn’t know the legbars have that.. when she first started getting her feathers in I thought her head feathers were just growing faster than the rest and we were like oh look her little pony tail she’s got lol but it’s still there so I’m thinking maybe that’s what she is? All the legbars I’ve been searching seem like they are darker than her though so idk.. maybe she’s mixed with legbar and Easter egger or because she’s mixed with something does that make her an Easter egger? Lol idk I’m still learning, I have 4 Easter Eggers and a leghorn that we’ve been raising a little over a year now and these are the first time we’ve added to the flock.
Legbar cross to make a EE. Those feathers on her head are a crest. You can Google crested Legbar and all diff pics will show up. You might get a colored egg out of that one.

She’s an Easter Egger. Likely made with a Legbar though.

Lady is a cream legbar mix (aka an Easter egger) pullet. The red ones are New Hampshire red mix cockerels.
Ohh thank you! I am really excited about Lady! Okay so I have another question for you… so I’m wanting to start integrating them with my big girls, which is a flock of 5 (4 Easter Eggers & 1 leghorn) Ik I don’t have enough hens to have 2 roosters, I actually don’t plan on keeping neither of them. I’ve only ever had 1 rooster before, I didn’t raise him, we got him full grown and we kept him 4 weeks and I noticed he kept drawing blood on my leghorns comb (she is the leader of my flock and she wasn’t very pleased to have him) so that whole experience has made me scared to put a rooster in my flock cause I don’t want to deal with one being mean to my girls.. I may baby them a little more than I should lol idk.. but anyways, should I start integrating my 4 younger ones here even though 2 of them are roosters.. or should I wait till I get rid of the roosters and just integrate Lady and Luna when that time comes? I feel like Lady and Luna, my two pullets would benefit from being with my older girls cause they are so tame and calm and love to be on my lap, they trust us and wanna be wherever I am if they can, as where Lady and Luna are still very skittish towards us so I’m wondering if that has to do with them being raised with 2 cockerels that can be a little aggressive with each other and with them at times… I could be wrong, I’ve only been raising chickens for a year and some change so i really dk if that’s why but that’s just what I’ve come up with in my head lol I don’t have their coops right next to each other but my big girls are free range during the day and they’ve gone up to the little ones coop and peep’d out the new chickens, I’ve had them all out at the same time when they were smaller and my big girls either payed them no mind or got as far away from as they could lol but I was also right there the whole time saying “you better be nice”😂 but here lately Chickee (leader/leghorn) has gone up to their coop and tried to bite one of the cockerels through the fence more than once so idk if I’d say they’re all well acquainted but they definitely know they are there… so should I start letting them all free range together first and still separate them at night or should I introduce them at night? I read somewhere to introduce them at night but I also read somewhere not to so idk what to do.. lol you guys are like my chicken Bible I come here for every question I have! Lol

Back
Top Bottom