Golden Comets right?

monarc23

Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
Kay, I went and traded some horse models I had for a small flock of chickens today.. I was told days before by their owner that they were RIRs So that was what I was expecting.

We met in a parkinglot that was partway for both of us....and as soon as she opened her back door of her vehicle I knew right away they were Golden Comets (atleast i am positive...im right right)? I saw a light buff hen with some white and a large off-white roo. I didnt say anything and we still traded.....but I was bummed.

I guess I'll have to just get myself some more RIR hatching eggs
smile.png

But here below is the small flock---just want to make sure that's deffinatly waht they are is GCs
smile.png

IMG_5811.jpg

IMG_5814.jpg

IMG_5817.jpg

IMG_5833.jpg

They're very attractive birds so I don't mind what they are really. I know that sex-links do not breed true. BUT I'm curious, breeding sex-links together....even though I know you wont be able to tell roos from hens at hatching....will they look similar to the birds here (their chicks)? If so I don't mind breeding for them at all. Curious though, what in the world do I call them to others who might be interested in their eggs/chicks? I don't want to mislead them so I want to make sure they know that even though they are pure "golden comets" that they are NOT sex-linked....just curious what you guys think I should call them....I dont want to call them "mutts" or "mixes" because they had a name, so I feel their babies should...just curious if someone has let their GCs breed, what they advertised/sold them as? I guess I could just call them "brown egg layers" LOL

Thanks
smile.png

I'm not sure the male is a sex-link, though the females definitely are. My red sex-link cockerels were white with red in their wings and necks. I don't see any red on your boy, do I?

Sorry you didn't get what you wanted! Hopefully you'll get some gorgeous RIR's soon.

WELL, I am confused. This sex link thing has me thrown for a loop.

Is is the RIR rooster over the leghorn hen
or
Is is the Leghorn rooster covering the RIR hen that make a sex linked chick ??
or
Am I completely off and there are other breed involved for these
"Golden Comet"

I have 10 or so birds that look very similiar to these birds
Here in Missouuri they call them: Cinnamon Queens.
Lately though I have heard red sex links, Red Comets/Goldne Comets and just a Comet.

So, what do i have, mine lhas all kinds of different markings, Some of these birds are just beautiful and some are mutt looking.

My birds are all hens and in the spring/summer and part of the fall they are PROLIFIC layers.

They look like red stars (gold comets) to me, RIR X White Leghorn. That is why the rooster is white. They will be good layers. You won't get anything pure out of them by breeding them, females should be good layers though.

Quote:
It's RIR roo over leghorn hen. The new hampshire red ROO can be used too in this mixing. You can use any white hen that has silvering gene as does the white leghorn.
smile.png

You're not completely off at all.
smile.png
Cinnamon Queens however are a different mixing I forget which red bird to what color hen though!
smile.png
I think that's why some people just callthem sex links so they dont have to reserach which Name sexlink they have
wink.png

I recently bred a Comet roo to a mixed batch of hens. I got some really neat looking chicks. All different colors and patterns. The are termed "mixed" chicks. They should be good layers though. People around here will buy mixed chicks and well as anything else. They just want them to lay or be edible when they are bigger. I don't use any "standard" leghorn in my crosses because they are too thin to eat, but some of my comets, etc. have leghorn in them. Your white roo looks like a leghorn or white rock can't really see the ear lobes well enough to tell.

Quote:
thanks for the info Smith! If I get better shots of his head would you be able to tell? I'd be curious to know what you think his cross is. I dont think he's a pure LH or WR he's an off white though youcan almost see a buff tint to him.

Back
Top Bottom