Golden Comets vs Barred Rocks

Wow, this is a great thread. I learn so much every time I log on and read.

I have 6 Golden Comets, purchased as 2 day old peeps at TSC in March. They layed early and almost everyday and are so friendly. I thought if I added to my flock next yr I would choose a few Barred Rocks, then I could keep track of the age of my hens.

I had no idea hybrids layed for only a couple yrs, very interesting info. I love to see them run to me when I call them for a little scratch as a treat, so funny seeing a chicken run, they will eat out of my hand. I have had so much fun raising these sweet girls.

I am a newbee, have only had chickens since summer 09..... so I really have enjoyed learning from this great site. I have really enjoyed having this chicken experience. I have 5 mixed breed hens that are a year old.

I have a beautiful mix bred (mutt? lol) rooster, grey and rust (if I knew how to share pictures here I would include his pic), what could I expect to produce from him and GC's if I would incubate??

Thanks to all for this great topic. Claudia/Ohio

My golden comet laid her first egg at 15 weeks..Other than my own experience, I didn't know that they matured so quickly! This is why I love this forum, always learning something new:lol

I love my Ginger..she lays the most beautiful rich brownish-red egg, the 2nd largest eggs of my flock. They are just gorgeous.

Quote:
I have a gold comet named Ginger too. Did you name her after Ginger in the movie Chicken Run?

Last edited:
I have 6 Sex Links...Dolly began laying the day she was 16 weeks old but she is so OCD about who is in the nest boxes that she does not lay very often now. Thank goodness the other 5 do lay every day and their eggs are getting to be a nice size.

I have 3 BR's but only two are laying small eggs...hoping they will soon get larger. So far they have been pretty regular most days.

I'm planning on adding more Sex Links to the flock next Spring...would do it this Fall but Ideal just has two dates they are shipping in October and my DH will be gone both dates and so I have no way to pick them up at the Post Office
barnie.gif

Last spring I did 5 red sex links (golden comets I guess) 5 RIR day olds. All of them started to lay at 19 weeks. Two weeks after the first 10 I went back to the feed store and got 2 Barred rock day olds. The Barred Rocks started laying two weeks after the RIR and sex links. So my Barred Rocks also began laying at 19 weeks. In addition the Barred Rocks are HUGE in comparison. About 2 lbs heavier already. So Just hang in there, they will lay soon enough. All have been great layers.

I'm not getting eggs from anybody yet
fl.gif
, but if looks are any indication my BR will beat my GC to it. They are very red in the face, very big in size. My GC are just starting to have bigger combs, but are still very pink. They also a bit smaller than my BR. I'm curious to see how it works out . I'm also curious to see how long they will lay. I didn't know they were made for 2 years of production either.

After all the talk about BR's I am excited to try 6 next spring......they are so beautiful.

I also want 6 EE too.

I guess I have about 5 months to dream and plan for my new additions for 2011.

Everyday is like Christmas when I collect my GC's eggs.

Claudia/Wooster,Ohio

I have a gold comet named Ginger too. Did you name her after Ginger in the movie Chicken Run?

Believe it or not, I've NEVER seen that movie! I called her Ginger because she's red. In England, they call redheads "gingers" & I'm a
redhead so that's my nickname.​

Back
Top Bottom