Golden Comets

Hotwings

Songster
12 Years
Jan 27, 2007
southwestern Michigan
Went shopping for chicks yesterday with freebie at Tractor Supply and we got some chicks called Golden Comets. The girl wasn't very knowledgble about the chicks they had there and there wasn't a big variety. I guess a lot of places aren't carrying a lot of birds because they usually are left with more than they sell. I have heard about these comets and I googled alittle and they seem like a good laying bird. Is there anyone here that can tell us more about them. Thank you. I would like to add that the few chicks they had there were very healthy and the brooders they were in were nice and clean. They kept them in big metal horse troughs. I read where you could tell the comets by color and was relieve to hear we got pullets.

Golden Comets are a sex linked breed. Feathersite says a New Hampshire male with a White Rock (silver factor) female.

I had some once upon a time. They were good layers and did not make trouble.

Last edited:
Our Southern States CO OP had them this weekend also. They got rave reviews from the people who work there. They sold out rather quickly. I didn't know anything about them either, so I'm glad you asked. I wasn't ready for babies, so I did not get any. Good luck with them.

Hey Hotwings, glad you posted this. I just wanted to let you know, these chicks seem so much calmer than any other chicks I have had. They seem so relaxed and are doing great so far.
I too think they are a good choice and hope to be very happy with them.

John said he would give me some eggs if anyone goes broody. He has that polish rooster and that pretty one. They are both pretty crazy though.

My neighbor has three Golden Comets, and they are really friendly, good layers, very smart. One of them waits on my deck every morning for a treat. She has me figured out for a softie!!!

Back
Top Bottom