Songster
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
central KY
Ok My understanding is

Golden Comet = RIR Roo X White Leghorn Hen

Now the question is

RIR Roo X Brown Leghorn hen = What?

Does it make a good efficient bird as a gold comet?

I think you might have the RIR X white leghorn the wrong way round.

A RIR male on white leghorn female would not work, but White Leghorn male on RIR female would give sex linkage for rate of feather growth.

The same would probably apply to Brown Leghorn on RIR.

I am almost positive that I am correct with the RIR Roo and White Leghorn Hen to make Gold Comet. I am sure someone else will throw in their 2 cents and we can find out.

However with that said, why would it take away the sex link? Using brown instead of white?

Well there are various gene on the Z sex chromosome. The gene people are thinking of when they say RIR male on RI white female is using the sex linked alleles silver/gold as the gene s used to determine sex of the offspring.

RIR with white leghorn or RIR with brown leghorn would not work for a gold/silver sex link because first a white leghorn would be dominant white on extended black with other genes.....when crossed with a RIR the black under the dominant white would make the bird black & then one gene of dominant white would prevent the black pigment giving one white offspring of both sexes....i.e. no good for a gold silver sex link.

The reason brown would not work with RIR as a gold/silver sex link is because both brown leghorns & RIR are gold ...there is no silver counterpart to use for that particular sex linked difference.

The only way either of those two colours of leghorns could be used in a sex linked cross would be to use the sex linked rapid feather gene on the Z chromosome. Putting a rapid feathering leghorn male onto the slow feathering RIR would give female offspring showing wing feathers faster than the males.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom