golden comets

bware

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 18, 2013
I had 8 given to me. Never raised chickens before. I am not sure if there is a perferd layer pellet they should be getting? that is my main issue other wise they are loving their new home. The grandkids and I are enjoying them. If anyone has a suggestion I am open to them. I give them raw oatmeal, mealworms and veggie scraps.
Thank you!!

:frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

We all have our favorites but it’s all really just personal preference. Some people will only go organic, some prefer vegetarian, and some like me prefer some animal protein in their feed. Some go by price, some go by percent protein. Some avoid corn or soy products. The truth is that they all work.

I don’t know how old yours are. If they are still growing they should not have Layer. The extra calcium in it is hard on growing chick’s internal organs. But once they get laying age they need the extra calcium for the egg shells. Usually 20 weeks is given as the cut-off age for switching to Layer.

Some people never feed Layer. They feed Grower or Flock Raiser and offer oyster shell on the side.

The other thing about feeding them things other than commercial feed is that they need grit so they can grind it up in their gizzards. If they have access to the ground they’ll find their own grit. If they are caged where they can’t get to the ground you need to provide something. You can buy grit at the feed store or you can collect gravel (smaller than the size of a green pea) from somewhere, say a gravel driveway, a sandy beach or streambed, maybe a bag of pea gravel or construction sand.

Hope this helps and once again, :frow

frow.gif
Welcome to the forum!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!
frow.gif

We all have our favorites but it’s all really just personal preference. Some people will only go organic, some prefer vegetarian, and some like me prefer some animal protein in their feed. Some go by price, some go by percent protein. Some avoid corn or soy products. The truth is that they all work.

I don’t know how old yours are. If they are still growing they should not have Layer. The extra calcium in it is hard on growing chick’s internal organs. But once they get laying age they need the extra calcium for the egg shells. Usually 20 weeks is given as the cut-off age for switching to Layer.

Some people never feed Layer. They feed Grower or Flock Raiser and offer oyster shell on the side.

The other thing about feeding them things other than commercial feed is that they need grit so they can grind it up in their gizzards. If they have access to the ground they’ll find their own grit. If they are caged where they can’t get to the ground you need to provide something. You can buy grit at the feed store or you can collect gravel (smaller than the size of a green pea) from somewhere, say a gravel driveway, a sandy beach or streambed, maybe a bag of pea gravel or construction sand.

Hope this helps and once again,
frow.gif
What he said :)

They are 9 months old. They were raised with cows in a barn. We built a coop. We are having a problem with them laying eggs big one that make them bleed. I have lost 4 to this. I had the vet come out. He said it maybe be the layer pellets. So I went to the mash. They have enjoyed that much more, eating better. i also supplement with crack corn and cracked oyster shell.
Thank You Very Much for your reply
Barbara

I have never heard of feed grower!! What is that? We have tryed a few things, I have been feeding them the mash and they are enjoying that.I guess I need to do some more research. They were raised with cows, we just built a coop. Temp coop when the weather permits we will move and build a perment structure.
Thank you for your reply
Barbara

Over the internet, we can only suggest some things. We aren't there, where you are. We cannot see them or judge their condition.

You said they were given to you. Are we to assume as adults, already in lay?

The Golden Comet is just a name. This isn't a breed. Most of these hybrids are reddish gold in color with white patches and many have white tail feathers. These are very often commercial birds that are sold through retail hatchery outlets and feed stores. Since they were given to you, you may not know which hatchery they were originated. It isn't important to know, really, but what is important to know is that these are often super layers. They lay when very young, they lay heavily and they lay large eggs. This is the result of the genetics behind such birds.

The second year, when they are two years old, their eggs often get even larger. Yes, I've seen blood streaks on hens laying super large eggs.

What I'm going to say is this. No matter what you do, there is often this problem with second year Golden Comet type, red-sex-link commercial hybrid hens. They are laying machines, but they have a history of burning out early. I'm sorry to say. They were bred mainly to be "replaced" every two years, on the outside. Will every single Golden Comet type bird burn out? No. Will every single one of them develop ovarian issues? No. But the reality is that many, many of them will.

I'm just trying to be very honest here. I hope you can appreciate the straight forward nature of my reply.

I have never heard of feed grower!! What is that? We have tryed a few things, I have been feeding them the mash and they are enjoying that.I guess I need to do some more research. They were raised with cows, we just built a coop. Temp coop when the weather permits we will move and build a perment structure.
Thank you for your reply
Barbara

Layer feed, which is feed with calcium ground in, can come in mash, pellets, or crumbles. It's all Layer, no matter what "shape" or medium of the feed itself.

Grower is a kind of feed that is often fed inbetween Chick Starter and Layer. Grower is essentially just Layer without the calcium. Sometimes it can be sold with a smidge lower protein content, sometimes around 14% protein.

When we got them we were told they were 7mths. And they were laying already. Can it be that the coop is to small where they were in with cows in a barn? I have lost another and now only have 2 left!! I don't understand everyone i have talked to seems to think I am doing what I need. I give them grit in the coop because their pen right now is just a temp!! How big does a coop have to be for say 8 chickens? I want to get some more because it is enjoyable
The coop I have right now is a 4ft by 7ft 8ft high. Also I was told not to let them out when it rains, snows because they can catch cold and get sick? How true is this?
Thank You for your time
Barbara

When I purchased grain last week I got what I think is a mash? It is small like the cracked corn. They rather eat that than the pellets so I think I may stay with that, they seem much happier!! Can I give them to much grit? Or not enough? I do not have there house in a permitment place yet, after all the snow is gone we will move it. We are down sizing the garden and are moving it at the end we are not using. How old do they have to be to have the grower feed. The girls are 9 mths now and were laying when I got them. I have lost all but 2 out of 8. One other thing I was thinking is I did not have a coop when I first got them and they were in with the neighbors chickens, coould they have gotten something?
Thank You for your time and info,
Barbara

I would think that your coop might be too small. But either way it sounds like your doing everything right. Sorry about your chickens Illove chickens and our golden comet is the sweetes one we have.

Back
Top Bottom