Golden Eyed Sumatras

Phaedra Winters

Songster
Aug 27, 2017
Hi guys! So i recently (like a year ago haha) picked up some Black Sumatra chicks, and one of them has these really bright and golden piercing eyes. I know they're supposed to have pure black eyes, but she is absolutely gorgeous! I would love to breed a full set of these beauties as a little project, however I have to ask if it would ever be possible to get them accepted to the APA as Gold Eye Sumatras since it's not an actual feather color difference, just the eyes if that makes sense. What do you guys think on that being possible or not? Any and all opinions and feedback is appreciated, thanks y'all!

Thank you for all your replies! And yes, that is what I was concerned about, regarding the leakage and whether it would be enough to warrant that. I will upload pictures of her soon!

20181215_083616.jpg
20181111_115341.jpg
20181111_115359.jpg

These are about a month or two old, but I'll take some more tomorrow if i can. Depends if she is up for modeling, lol. Her name is Eris

She's very striking with the contrast from her orange eyes to her black plumage. If it is a separate mutation, that would be exciting, but if it is a lack of melanisers, she could lower the standard of your sumatra line long term.

Assuming I am correct regarding her genetics; As melanisers are generally incomplete dominant (which also places any siblings she has into question regarding gene-purity), her offspring will likely all be brown eyes without leakage, however upon breeding those offspring into your main group, you will likely see more like her. If you have a spare pen and a spare cockerel to work with, sure, but I wouldn't breed her into your pure line.

I'd be interested to see the bird in question. My concern would be that light eyes would generally denote a lack of the melanising genes necessary for a true black; a pullet without them may not show leakage but a cockerel often will.

I've seen undermelanized extended black Sumatras and they still have Dark eyes, I believe the eye color is a separate melanizing mutation.

For example this Sumatra rooster: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/brown-red-sumatra.760798/

Back
Top Bottom