Golden laced polish not eating.

Mnocher

Hatching
Sep 22, 2023
Hi all. I have five - 6 month old hens. One is a golden laced polish. As expected, she is the most skittish. I’m worried that she is not getting enough to eat. She is hesitant and just stops trying if another chicken is around her. She is not being bullied. Her crop is almost always nearly empty. In the evenings it has some food in it but not nearly as much as the other girls. I’ve tried holding her and hand feeding her not she just jumps down. Thanks in advance

Welcome to BYC!

I recommend having a few different feeding stations, so she has more than one place to eat.
Could you feel her keel bone and see if she's underweight? The keel bone is sorta behind the crop, if that makes sense.

What is your climate like? I agree with having multiple feed and water stations, and you could also consider worming your chickens. Polish in mixed flocks can be picked on,Mandy they also may have trouble seeing due to their poofy head feathers. I had two Polish hens in my flock, and I kept their feathers over their eyes trimmed to help them see better.

Welcome to BYC!

I recommend having a few different feeding stations, so she has more than one place to eat.
Could you feel her keel bone and see if she's underweight? The keel bone is sorta behind the crop, if that makes sense.
Thank you for your reply. I’ll try multiple feeding stations for sure. I can feel the front ridge of her keel bone but I can also feel it on the other chickens; even the big girl who eats most of the time.
What is your climate like? I agree with having multiple feed and water stations, and you could also consider worming your chickens. Polish in mixed flocks can be picked on,Mandy they also may have trouble seeing due to their poofy head feathers. I had two Polish hens in my flock, and I kept their feathers over their eyes trimmed to help them see better.
I live in Charleston SC. It’s warm here today is 80°. Thank you for the help! I’ll try anything to help her.

Attachments

• IMG_4353.jpeg
    IMG_4353.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 2
In warm humid environments worming might be good for her and your flock. Some do it once or twice a year. Some in tropical areas do it more often. Valbazen is my favorite, and dosage is 1/2 ml given orally once and again in 10-14 days. It is available in some feed stores and online, and here:
https://www.jefferspet.com/valbazen...-TKXo52H6ft8jj5vapiRAACJp7mXeUR8aAjx0EALw_wcB

Some use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Equine paste 1/4 ml per pound for 5 consecutive days to get most all worms. Give it once and again in 10 days for round worms only.

In warm humid environments worming might be good for her and your flock. Some do it once or twice a year. Some in tropical areas do it more often. Valbazen is my favorite, and dosage is 1/2 ml given orally once and again in 10-14 days. It is available in some feed stores and online, and here:
https://www.jefferspet.com/valbazen...-TKXo52H6ft8jj5vapiRAACJp7mXeUR8aAjx0EALw_wcB

Some use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Equine paste 1/4 ml per pound for 5 consecutive days to get most all worms. Give it once and again in 10 days for round worms only.
You’re the best! Thank you for the help!

I live in Charleston SC. It’s warm here today is 80°. Thank you for the help! I’ll try anything to help her

Thank you for all the help! What seemed to work is a combination of things. I added three feeding stations and also added water to the food in one of those (just enough to dampen the layer crumbles). Now they are all eating the moistened food and the shy little girl loves it! I had to offer it by hand for a few days but it worked! I hope this post helps someone else experiencing the same issue.

Back
Top Bottom