Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BarredCometLaced, Jul 15, 2011.

1. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    Again, it's just all a guess! Have to look at the wings tail etc.

2. newtwinmom

newtwinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2012
    East Texas
    I
    Wondering the same. Out of my three, the first chick in my photos above is the only with a tail. But also the only with any comb color.

3. Cooptopia

Cooptopia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Sanford, NC

Is there an age where it becomes obvious? I'll try to get some pics showing wings tails combs etc. I have 4 and only one has the short tail two are dark, two are light and the one with the redder comb also has light feathering and a long tail.

4. newtwinmom

May 24, 2012
    East Texas
    Any other guesses? I need to get these separate into keeper pens and will be so sad if I pick the wrong one! Also, any explanation for the large difference in gold color? Is one more desirable then the other?

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  5. newtwinmom

May 24, 2012
    East Texas
    So here are my three, all together. If short tails means roo, why does my bigest bird with the most feathers, and really the only one with a tail, have the largest and pinkest comb (the bird farthest to the right)?

[​IMG]

Here is a shot from above. The one standing alone is the bird to the right in the picture above. Note the tail but the absence on the other two.
    [​IMG]

And just for "fun"-here is an above shot of that dark dark bird from picture one. She (maybe) has next to no feathers compared to the others and hardly any gold. What should this tell me?
    [​IMG]

6. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    Again the rule doesn't always apply. Really isnt a rule, just something I go by.

7. Nickeyo

Nickeyo Chillin' With My Peeps

looks a bit like a campine

8. Nickeyo

and the ones above look nice

9. onebigglo1

onebigglo1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    I crossed a BO rooster with black australorp hens and got hens that look very similar to the GLW. I'm hoping they will lay jumbo eggs like their mothers do.

10. Nickeyo

Any one know what a welsummer cross GLW will look like?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by