Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

Pics
Quote:

I would definitely think about hatching some of hers out!
gig.gif

I have a question for those who might want to share their wisdom. I recently purchased some GLW eggs on ebay, only 3 have made it so far in the incubator, hopefully they will make it to hatch. Also hoping at least one will be a rooster. So that being said I had hoped for more when I put the 12 eggs in the bator but it just hasn't worked out. There is a person in town locally looking to reduce their flock as they no longer want to or are able to keep all of their laying hens. They have one GLW that looks nice however she is a little over 3 years old. I was thinking of taking her just to have the diversity later on for hatching eggs. So my hesitancy is even if I get a rooster at hatch it will be at least 7 months or so till mature and able to fertilize the older hens eggs. So at that point she will be closer to 4 yrs old. At that age is it really feasible to expect to get many eggs from her for expanding the GLW flock? Should I pass on the free GLW? How often does a 4 yr old lay? I don't know as all my laying hens are all young, 12-14 months. need guidance.

So the question is really how much do you need her? If you need her to improve or to diversify, even if she lays only 10 eggs next year (which is probably way low), those 10 might be the key to moving your own line along to the next step.

From an economic perspective, you're not going to make money on any of the chickens you have unless you can sell chicks for $10 each and eggs for $30 a dozen until you don't have any more. How much will it cost you to keep one hen? Maybe $30-50 for a year maybe less, maybe more depending on free-ranging and types of feed you use. If I need one of my hens or she is special to my breeding program, she isn't going anywhere even if she's 20. If I get 5 fertile eggs a year and one of those turns into the male or female I need, I figure it was well worth it.

I'd take her, and look around for a roo too, as well as another hen. Also, don't supplement any light for her till spring, so she won't lay, or won't lay often. Preserve what eggs she has left. Then in spring, try and find a roo thats old enough.

Good luck.

Heck, you can tell in the first pic that its a roo. Pullets will not have that much come develop till almost POL, and then BAM! Its there.

Now, that said, he's going to make you a beauty of a boy. Can see it already. You gonna keep him and breed then?

Quote:
If you want her to add new blood to your flock I say go for it - though do remember to quarantene her! (I generally don't add any adult birds to my flock because of the range of illnesses they can bring with them). Mine still lay, though not so frequently, at 7-8 years. They hadn't slowed down at 4-5.

Back
Top Bottom